Using Carbonite with new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gothamciti, May 12, 2011.

1. gothamciti macrumors newbie

I'm getting ready to buy a new iMac. I've pretty much decided on the iMac with the SSD and 1TB drive.

I currently have a Carbonite account that I will be transferring to the new machine. Carbonite will only back up an internal drive. Will there be any issues with 2 internal drives?

Are there any new iMac owners out there that use Carbonite?

Thanks for your help.

2. rufhausen macrumors regular

This doesn't answer your question as I don't have experience with Carbonite, but you might want to consider Backblaze if Carbonite doesn't do multiple drives. Backblaze will do multiple drives, including externals.

3. Cmu93 macrumors member

I'm using Crashplan. It does externals, and for free it will backup to other computers in your home network... you have to pay to use the online backup.

T

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I haven't check yet but I believe in Carbonite you can select which drives/file folders you wish to backup.

5. Berknip macrumors member

+1 for CrashPlan. I know this isn't the answer you seek, but I looked at a lot of online offerings, including Carbonite, and it seemed to fit my needs best as I have quite a few external drives.

6. gothamciti thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm ordering my iMac. If I have any trouble with Carbonite, I'll switch to another service. Probably CrashPlan. I've heard a lot of good things about them recently.

7. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

Another +1 for CrashPlan.

Choose any disks, folders or files to backup.
    Have multiple backup destinations concurrently.
    Destinations can be folders, internal disks, external disks, LAN-attached computers or WAN-attached.
    Any mix of Macs and PCs.
    You only pay if you want CrashPlan to provide the storage.

8. badmoth macrumors newbie

Yes you can! I currently backup multiple internal HDD's with Carbonite. It's a PC (Windows 7) but I don't know why it would be different with OSX. Good luck.

9. dead flag blues macrumors member

+1 for CrashPlan

I'm very happy with CrashPlan. I back up my iMac and 2 externals. Even my mother, who is 73 years old, uses it.