Using Cinema Display with a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by blold, May 5, 2012.

1. blold macrumors newbie

I have a 27" Cinema Display that I connect to my Macbook Pro using Mini Display. I'm thinking of building a gaming PC and using the Cinema Display as a monitor. Does anyone have experience doing this? There are video cards with Mini DisplayPorts so that shouldn't be a problem. Mainly I have two concerns:

1. Is there any problem getting audio to play from a PC over the Cinema Display's internal speakers?

2. I've read that there's no way to control a Cinema Display's brightness when you connect it to a PC. Can anyone corroborate this? Are there any ways around this?

Thanks for any advice that anyone can offer.

2. Merax macrumors newbie

I'm using a 27" cinema (non-thunderbolt) for my OSX machine and my Windows 7 machine (with gtx 570). I use an Atlona switch to flip between the two.

Windows 7 recognized the monitor's speakers automatically. It appears in the volume control options as one of the sound devices.

There is an application called "AppleControlPanel" that you can pull out of the 32 bit or 64 bit BootCamp installer that will allow you to adjust the brightness. I don't think I ended up changing it much anyway, the brightness was about right out of the box and it auto-adjusts with the ambient light.

The camera and mic work too, though I seem to remember having to fiddle with those a bit.

Anyway, nothing to worry about, it works great with Windows :)

3. blold thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, very reassuring.