using Classic with 10.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by moea, Oct 27, 2008.

1. moea macrumors newbie

Can anyone let me know if it's possible to still use Classic with OS 10.5?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Are you referring to a MacBook Pro "Classic".... the previous version of the MBP before the most recent release?

3. maxshanly macrumors member

WTF are you on?

No, you won't be able to turn Classic with Leopard, Apple have removed that feature from OS X.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What are you talking about, "WTF am I on?" I just asked a clarification question! What's your problem?

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not really, Apple eliminated Classic support with Leopard.

Some of the alternatives support and older version of the OS like 7.x - 8.x -- and not really all that well, so it might not be optimal.

Just keep a copy of Tiger on a drive, and boot into that if you really need to use Classic.

Though this sort of ruins workflow.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

whoa what are you talking about?

hes talking about classic as in os9 apps. but to answer the question, with 10.5, apple dropped classic support

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Classic allows you to run pre Mac OS X applications.

Classic is available via Tiger on PPC Macs.

Classic has never been supported on Intel Macs.

Tiger was the last OS to support Classic.

I hope that this clears things up a bit.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

keep in mind, tiger will only work if your mac shipped with tiger or earlier. not that it matters as you need ppc support but for general knowledge, you cant put tiger on a computer when it shipped with leopard. oh yea, also need a ppc mac as well

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A lot of people in this forum have begun to refer to the previous version of the MacBook Pro as the "Classic" vs the "GlassBook". The OP didn't give much information, so I simply asked if that's what he meant by the term "Classic". What's the problem in that?
    Thank you for clearing up the confusion without copping an attitude! I never used Tiger, so I've never heard of "Classic" other than the recent references to pre-"GlassBook" MBPs.

10. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

If you really need to run a classic app, you can run OS 9 on intel macs using Sheepshaver, but that involves basically booting a full install of OS 9 in a leopard window under emulation.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you are the first ive heard being confused about classic in this context.

you did know leopard was on the old mbp so of course leopard worked on the older style mbp that was sold just not even a month ago......

try to think about it logically lol

no offense

i wouldnt reccomend sheepshaver as it doesnt support the latest os

if you need to use classic, get a ppc with tiger. thats really the best solution

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I knew that, but didn't know if the OP knew that. That's why I asked the question, to clarify.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I am brain dead when it comes to Sheepshaver. I have not been able to get it to run.

Someday, when I have some extra time, I am going to try it again.

Or just get an older Mac the boots directly into Classic such as a PowerMac. :)

14. Xavier macrumors 68020

There are alternatives like Sheepshaver. I used to use that to play Oxyd on my Intel Mac with 10.5.

15. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I got OS 9.0x(whatever the highest version supported was) to work on Sheepshaver on Intel Mac; it is a challenge! For most people, it is easier to find a PPC Mac and use Classic Environment, or get one of the (even) older PPC Macs that still boot OS9.