Using cMBP in Clamshell Mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ourcore, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ourcore macrumors regular

ourcore

Hey, guys,

I'm using my late 2011 13" MBP (16 GB of RAM with SSD and HDD--for those wondering why I'm using it as a desktop) in clamshell mode, which works great with my external monitor, keyboard, and mouse, but the problem is that I can't power it on while it's closed. The infrared remote or plugging in a USB device had no effect.

Some suggestions that I read were scheduling the MacBook to turn on at a specific time every day, but only reconnecting the power when you actually want to turn it on, or simply putting it to sleep. I'm wondering which is the better option. I usually try to turn it off every now and then so that it doesn't run slow. Is there much harm in purely putting it to sleep, and maybe restarting every now and then? Thanks!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I never restart mine unless it has crashed or an update requires it. It can be switched on for months on end. It doesn't run any slower after a few months than it did when I first turn it on. Computers don't get tired, don't have moods nor feelings, they're machines.

Just put it to sleep and be done with it.

3. David58117 macrumors 65816

This.

My old cMBP 2012 15" did desktop duty for about 2 years, and I rarely turned it off.

4. ourcore thread starter macrumors regular

ourcore

By that logic, parts would never wear and last a lifetime. My previous Windows laptop was really affected by this, so I think that's the root of my thinking. I also read an article that Macs aren't affected by this, so I'll go with Sleep Mode.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not trying to sound snide or snarky, but you are besides the point when calling out my "logic". We're talking about the software side of things here, as in, the OS gradually getting slower over time due to being turned on for too long. This just doesn't happen on a Mac, heck, it doesn't happen on a properly maintained Windows PC either.

But no, parts don't last forever. Especially moving parts such as a mechanical HD. That's never what I meant by my comment either.

6. ourcore thread starter macrumors regular

ourcore

It seems like you think that the software and hardware operate entirely independently. I'm referring to the hardware constantly running and deteriorating over time, and therefore the software running slower as a result, which relies on the hardware. It's a lot more common with HDDs, which are huge bottlenecks.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

If solid state hardware degrades noticeably in the span of a few months, you have a much bigger problem than deciding whether to shut down or sleep the computer.

The fact of the matter is, your computer will no longer fullfill your computing needs long before the rest dies unless there was a defect to begin with.