Using cmd-? in Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mistergoomba, May 3, 2009.

1. mistergoomba macrumors newbie

I feel like I shouldn't be the only person having this issue, but I did some google searching and can't find anything.

I want to use cmd-? in Firefox like I can any application to pull up the help spotlight menu, however it just opens a new tab bringing me to the firefox website help area.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks in advance

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

firefox has currently no offline help documents, this is same behavior on all platforms.

3. mistergoomba thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough about what I'd like to do. I don't need to access any help features, I just want to use the search bar that's under the help menu which allows me to access any menu item without use of a mouse. It's been a very helpful and convenient feature of every other mac application I've used so far.

I got used to using cmd-? to access this in-application spotlight search, but in Firefox, it brings up a help tab. Is there any way to disable this shortcut in Firefox so I can use cmd-? like any other program?

Thanks again and sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my question

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

what in-application spotlight search do you mean? Im not really sure about your question.

there is a chance that you are talking about system service menu, which firefox doesn't support, but I really would like to understand your question first, maybe some screenshots?

5. mistergoomba thread starter macrumors newbie

No. I guess I don't really know what to call it, haha. I attached a screenshot of the search feature I am talking about. In any other Mac application using cmd-? will bring it up.

Attached Files:

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oh, ok

Im not sure if there is an answer to your question, but i might be able to suggest a workaround. That is, first could you tell me what that search box will do? will it search the HDD for items? i.e., behave just like system spotlight search? or something else?

7. Blindfutur3 macrumors member

Blindfutur3

8. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

i dont think they support this because its kind of unnecessary. pretty much every significant menu item has its own shortcut. people that want to access things without a mouse can just use those.

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i was asking what functions OP was trying to accomplish through the menu.