Using Cricket iPhone 5S Overseas

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by avimorde, Dec 29, 2013.

1. avimorde macrumors newbie

Hi there. Recently, I purchased an Iphone 5s from the US to use overseas. The iPhone is Cricket, and in the past I have bought Iphone 5 from Cricket and it was factory unlocked through Cricket without needing to do anything to them at all. SIM unlocked for international use - that is their OFFICIAL policy.
    I read online that the Iphone 5S were all unlocked for International use by default.. So my question is, Can I use the iPhone 5S overseas?
    Thanks.

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Only verizon iPhones are unlocked by "default." You would need to get your iPhone unlocked by cricket if you plan on using it outside the US.

3. avimorde thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure. My last iPhone 5 was "Locked to Cricket" but I still could use it outside the US. Is there any chance you are wrong? Please it's about a lot of money. Tnx

4. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

This is a question only Cricket can answer. Verizon Phones are officially automatically SIM unlocked. No other phones in the US are (under normal circumstances). To get an unlocked phone in the US, you'll have to meet random requirements set forth by whichever carrier "owns" the phone. Some carriers won't even unlock phones at all:

see Virgin Mobile.

5. avimorde thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I understand. I guess i'll have to contact Cricket for more information.
    In your opinion, if "Locked to Cricket" iphone 5 worked for me in my country outside the US, do you think "Locked to Cricket" iphone 5S will work too?
    Because if they didn't change their policy from iphone 5 to 5s I should work.

Either way, I'll try to contact Cricket. Thanks for your help.

6. avimorde thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know whether there is any Cricket's email?
    It's hard to catch them on the phone as long as you are not their customer.
    Thanks

7. jakobo macrumors newbie

And how is it possible that your locked iphone 5 works with sim card? Iphone had bad esn or what? From which carriermiphone was? Thanks

8. catean macrumors regular

Unlocked for international use can mean that roaming is activated and you can use the phone internationally with the roaming service.