Using crop marks - Am I stupid? :)

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by LERsince1991, Mar 20, 2011.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

Right so I'm starting to use the crop marks and stuff from indesign and pdf to get borderless documents but I've got a couple of questions.

1 - Am I stupid? - When i've printed using all the marks etc... from indesign. I go to slice them up on the guillotine and slice one side using the marks, but then that slices of the other 2 crop marks so I cant line up the sides that are next to the first? How do I use the crop marks?

2 - I want to add crop marks to a pdf from pages but not sure how... actually, just found out how. Expanded the a4 pdf in acrobat pro to a3 then added all trim marks etc...

So how do i trim using the trim marks please? :/

Luke

2. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Uh, homie, you have to cut inside the crop marks.
    Cutting inside the crop marks will probably require a large flat table with a cutting surface, an exacto knife (#11 blade) and a really big ruler made for cutting against.

When I worked in a sign/ print shop that's how we did it. ;)

3. LERsince1991 thread starter macrumors 65816

ah right cool, thought there would be a better way to do it as with a guillotine it would be a slightly better cut, I'll knife it :)

4. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

Yah. Cutting mat, steel rule and a really sharp blade. Start and end your cut along both long edges inside the edge of the paper, then rotate 90° and cut through on the other edges.

Cheers

Jim