Using [dead] Late 2006 Macbook screen as a second display?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbooker15, Jun 19, 2011.

1. macbooker15 macrumors 6502

I was wondering if it were possible to use the screen of my dead macbook as a second display for my current macbook pro. The logic board of the macbook is totally gone, so I would have to remove the screen in some way..has anyone done this? Is it possible?

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Even if it is possible, its probably more work and time then its worth, cheaper to go out and buy a used LCD in my opinion.

3. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Good idea! I have a dead logicboard too. If you find a way to use the macbook's screen as a second display for another laptop, PM me.

4. spam0000 macrumors newbie

This idea comes quite naturally, it would be really nice to be able to put the leftover screens to good use, but in practice it is super complicated. One cannot simply connect the screen cable pins to a vga/dvi plug. Laptop screens are kind of like printers, there is not a common hardware standard and what translates the signal from ex vga to what you see on the screen is done somewhere on the graphic card.

Google a bit - there are people who have done it, but it requires buying a circuitboard that processes the signal from vga/dvi, and again that circuit has to be made for that specific screen.