Using Dell 2130cn Color Laser printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bspitch1, Dec 24, 2010.

1. bspitch1 macrumors newbie

I just got a new macbook in a few days ago, and I have yet to figure out how to get the dell printer print in color. It works well when printing in black and white with the generic driver from apple, but when I use the generic color driver, I get the message:

Filter "/usr/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip" for printer "Dell_2130cn_Color_Laser" not available: No such file or directory"

I am using the following driver: Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/pxlcolor (recommended)

Any ideas on how to fix this or will I be stuck with black and white?

2. Jimbo96 macrumors newbie

Print color on a Dell 2130cn with iMac OS 10.6.8

I had a eureka moment getting a Dell 2130cn to print with an iMac running OS 10.6.8. I'll give you the condensed version of a lot of research.

After downloading and installing pxlmono-1.9, foomatic-rip-4.0.6.230, and gplgs-8.71, http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/macosx/pxlmono I manually added the Dell 2130cn Color Laser (Kind: USB) from the "Add Printer" list. (System Preferences>Print & Fax>"+" --below the Queue list)

At the bottom of the "Add Printer" the Name (of the Dell) appeared, the Location was my iMac, and Print Using: "Generic PCL Laser Printer." That allowed me to print B/W only.

However, by selecting the double-arrow (and the Select Printer Software), I selected the first of the two Dells on the list that work with Macs: Dell 3100cn Foomatic/pxlcolor and Dell Color Laser 5110cn v3015.103 PS. These files came from the more than 1000 PPDs in the "pxlmono-1.9" download. Be sure to read the Installer/Read Me for easy instructions.

Voila! Full Color off a Dell 2130cn from an iMac. Hope that helps someone. :D