Using Dell/Toshiba Windows XP Pro CD's to install windows on bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kaioken!, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Kaioken! macrumors newbie

Hey guys, ive got a nice 15" MBP with Leopard on the way in the mail, im just getting some stuff ready to put on it after it arrives. Got most of the stuff but im wondering...

Will designer copies of windows; such as Dell or Toshiba work to install windows through bootcamp? On the front it says 'For use with Dell/Toshiba computers only.' But the chances that they actually installed somthing that makes it ONLY work on Dell or Toshiba computers seems peculiar to me, correct me if im wrong; but a label like that is more of a 'firm recommendation'.

The Dell copy is Windows XP Home SP1 (oh dear) but the Toshiba is XP Pro, not sure about the service pack. I don't know what im looking at when it comes to Bootcamp, but i know getting 64x XP Pro is a hastle (and i have it...)

Advice on what copy of windows to install / how to go about it / general discussion on the relevant topic or your experiences with bootcamp will be appreciated! Thankyou,

Peter.

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Unless those computers have been decommissioned, then you don't really have any right to install XP on the Mac.

Buy an OEM copy of Windows - you'll need to buy a piece of Windows hardware with it, but it can be as something as inconsequential as a mouse. This way, you are properly licensed, if not obeying the full conditions of the EULA (which is practically unenforceable in any case).

3. Kaioken! thread starter macrumors newbie

The Toshiba is down and out for the count, that makes it legal right?

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

More or less. The license is for the machine as opposed to the user, but as long as you can demonstrate ownership of Windows in some way ultimately no-one is going to say anything. Toshiba could be a problem: many of their recovery discs are slipstreamed single installs, which recover the Windows partition to a Toshiba - and a Toshiba only. i.e. It's not a Windows installation disc as such. You may have to try it and see if it boots into a normal Windows install.

Dell - you shouldn't have such issues. If you have a Dell Windows disc, it should install much like an OEM disc.

I ought to add that doing the above does, as I said, technically violate the Microsoft (practically unenforceable as I said) EULA. I also ought to add that threads get locked / deleted all the time here for proposing similar technical violations of Apple's (equally practically unenforceable) EULA.

5. clintb macrumors newbie

Something else to consider when using an OEM disc is the presence of OEMBIOS.* files. These will prevent you from using the disc on anything but that particular manufacturer. Search on msfn.org for more info.

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Not always. As I said, Dell XP discs shouldn't have this issue.

7. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

I believe you do not have the right to install that copy of Windows XP on any other computer. Period. That copy of windows was licensed for that hardware. You can't use it on another piece of hardware.

I know this because I had to buy some Windows server licenses a few years ago that were full copies rather than the OEM versions because of this very reason.

With that said, I highly doubt MS will ever know... :)

8. Homer2556 macrumors newbie

As I understand it, the copy of Windows you use must be SP2. Otherwise, it may not install correctly. I've heard of ways to incorporate the SP2 install file onto a copy of XP, but it sounds like more effort than it's worth. If you do buy an OEM version, check the the store you're purchasing from. Some stores require more than just a single piece of hardware (i.e. motherboard and processor, etc.).

9. Kaioken! thread starter macrumors newbie

OEM here i come then, sounds like a hassle to do anything otherwise. Thanks for your help, everyone!