Using Different Install Discs on an iBookG4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by firas, Mar 12, 2008.

1. firas macrumors newbie

Hi,

I hope this is in the correct section. I've got an aging powerpc iBookG4 that came with OSX Panther (10.3)... time's taken it's toll on the old thing and it needs a refresh. Problem is I can't find the install discs, would I be able to use the install discs that came with my intel MacBook? I think buying a copy of Leopard would be too much for it.

Thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You may be able to, but it may be Intel Only software, but it never hurts to try. If it works, great, if not, it figures.

TEG

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

MacBook install/restore discs won't work: they are locked to only work on computers that report themselves to be MacBookx,y (where x and y are integers).

4. firas thread starter macrumors newbie

well that's no good :(

but thanks very much guys for the info, much appreciated, now to go hunting for those dics :S

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

If you can't find them, I believe Apple will send you replacement discs for $20 or something like that?

6. firas thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks will keep looking if i don't, that may be the best option

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As a last resort before spending any money you could try installing via Target Disc Mode. As this is cross-architecture I very much doubt this will work and you may leave youself with an iBook that will not boot until you do a proper re-install from it's own drive...