Using different mac os installer cd

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wcnmykl1, Jul 3, 2008.

1. wcnmykl1 macrumors newbie

I have replaced the hard drive of my Macbook (white), from 60GB to 120GB, coz my original drive cannot be detected so i have to replace it.

Now this is my problem: i don't have the recovery cd bundled with my macbook. How will i install mac OS in my macbook? Need it badly, please help me....

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If your computer shipped with MacOS X 10.4, then a retail DVD for MacOS X 10.5 will install the OS. If your computer shipped with MacOS X 10.5, then you need a replacement from Apple. If the computer shipped with MacOS X 10.4 and you do not want to upgrade, then you will also need a replacement System Restore DVD from Apple.

3. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

When and where did you buy the Macbook?

4. wcnmykl1 thread starter macrumors newbie

It was given to me by my friend in the States... im using it for about a year...

The hard drive is not functioning normal... at first, it runs the OS smoothly... then suddenly hangs, except the pointer.... so i have to restart it... then one time when somebody advised me to run disk utility, in my amazement, it registered half the size of my HD!!! it was not a partitioned HD.

So i replaced it with a 120GB HD, same RPM and same brand...

That's it... my problem now is where could i get a "universal" OS installer... could it be possible to install Mac OS if I use my hard drive as external HD and attached it to another mac? I have a mac mini now, running on Leopard.... Is it possible to make bootable CD's on MAC? How about making a bootable external HD?

Or, can migration be a solution?

Please, help me...

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Reread my previous post.

6. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I guess your solution is to buy an Install DVD from Apple for $129.

7. wcnmykl1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks anyway....

What i did was i cloned other mac to my macbook... It worked! I'm using it now and it is running smoothly. Good thing there are cloning apps out there... it just took me less than an hour to clone the entire disk to my disk.