Using different USB cables

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sammy.d, Aug 27, 2011.

1. sammy.d macrumors regular

Hi,
    I have a heap of various electronic devices that connect to my computer via usb cables. However, the cables are very easy to mix up and it is not easy trying to work out which belongs to what device.

Can someone please tell me if it matters or not if I use say my camera's USB cable for connecting my camera, external drive and phone to my computer, so long as that one cable fits in the connections on all of the devices? Or is there something unique within each USB cable that means it should only be used for the device that it came with (ie the phone needs the phone's usb cable, the camera needs the camera's cable etc)?

Hope the question is clear enough.

Cheers.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

For the most part, they are all standard USB cables with four wires. If it fits, it will work. Just don't force it in.

3. sammy.d thread starter macrumors regular

Are there some things I should be weary of that don't use the standard cables?

Thanks.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The things that don't use standard cables won't let you fit a standard cable in them. They'd come with their own special cables. With so many USB things on the market, its hard to really explain which things to avoid.

5. sammy.d thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any risk that even if it does fit, I could do some damage to the device?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Very unlikely. It's probably a certified USB or USB class cable and designed to be used on all sorts of devices.

7. sammy.d thread starter macrumors regular