Using Disk Utility on my Mac Mini to Duplicate the Drive

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Wicked1, May 13, 2009.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I have heard or read somewhere on this forum that you can use Disk Utility to Duplicate your internal hard drive to another drive, how can you do this.

I have the stock 320GB 5400 RPM drive and I want to put in my 320GB 7200RPM with 16MB Cache, but I would rather not load and reload all the software, so how can I move the data from Stock to the new drive.

I already partitioned using GUID and erased the new 320GB drive in an external enclosure which is where the drive is sitting now connected via USB to my MINI.

Thanks

2. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

there is this handy little app called Carbon Copy Cloner you can download for free that will do the job.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

SuperDuper is also another free utility that will also clone your factory drive to your external. It's the only one I've ever used and has always worked for me without any problems. Just be sure that you can boot from your clone first. I've never used CCC but I've heard that's just as good.

4. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Ditto.... just use Carbon Copy Cloner... never failed me

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I use Superduper but have used disk utility on occasion as well. Seems to work well. All you do is click restore in disk utility and select the correct source and target drives.

The only question no has been able to answer for me is this: If disk utility does everything needed for this to work (understanding you need to boot from the restore disk first so there are no open files on the source), why do utilities like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) and SuperDuper exist? What tasks do they perform that disk utility does not?

Perhaps I shall never know...

Cheers,

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The only difference between CCC/SD! and DU is that CCC/SD! can create incremental clones of the drive. This saves loads of time when updating your backup with the latest state of your working drive. Other than that, DU "Restore" is the same as a full CCC/SD! clone.