Using Disk Utility to merge partitions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by abta1, Apr 2, 2011.

1. abta1 macrumors 6502

I want to merge two partitions into one, the first partition is empty but the second has files on it. Can I use Disk Utility to merge these two without losing the data on the second partition?

2. larkost macrumors 6502a

Maybe... if the data from the second partition can fit on the first, then you can do the following:

1) Copy the data from the second to first, either by a finder copy, or better yet using Disk Utility.

2) Delete the second partition.

3) Expand the first partition to take up all the space.

If you can't fit the data from the second on the first, then without another volume/disk to hold the data temporarily, then the built-in tools from Apple can't help you.

I can offer one other possibility, but one I have not tried myself: GParted claims to be able to move HFS+ partitions, so you could use their live CD to move the volume forward, then use Disk Utility to grow it to the right size. I have to sound the large note of caution that I have never tried this, so you might lose all of your data.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You should just be able to delete the empty one and extend the one with files into that space.

4. abta1 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have erased the first partition, what do I do now? Should I choose "1 partition" from the drop down menu?

5. larkost macrumors 6502a

alust2013 did not read the original request correctly. Disk Utility can only expand volumes to take up space after then end of that volume. It cannot expand the volume to include space before the beginning.

Oh... and this all assumes that you are on an Intel computer, using 10.5+, and your disk is partitioned using GPT.

6. geekwlover macrumors newbie