Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveplotty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am from the UK and have a Airport Express connected through the Archer VR900.

I have a few issues but the first one I was wondering you could help me with is changing the DNS settings. I have added the new address in the Airport Utility and after restarting the website says that it still isn't setup correctly. I am connected to the correct network so its a bit confusing.

Hope someone can help.
Dave

danwestbrook

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Surrey, UK
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am from the UK and have a Airport Express connected through the Archer VR900.

I have a few issues but the first one I was wondering you could help me with is changing the DNS settings. I have added the new address in the Airport Utility and after restarting the website says that it still isn't setup correctly. I am connected to the correct network so its a bit confusing.

Hope someone can help.
Dave
Is the Airport Express just extending the network and is the Archer VR900 just an internet connection? I would suggest changing the DNS locally on the Mac via the System Preferences > Network and see if that works to start off with.

daveplotty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Okay after a few days research I have come to the conclusion that what I am trying to do is not possible. I was wanting to see if there was anyway to setup a VPN on the router. The answer is no. I want to be able to view different regions on Netflix but SmartDNS services are currently not working and setting up a VPN on my Mac won't allow me to watch different regions on Netflix on my AppleTV. Ah well. Fingers crossed a solution will come soon!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Okay after a few days research I have come to the conclusion that what I am trying to do is not possible. I was wanting to see if there was anyway to setup a VPN on the router. The answer is no. I want to be able to view different regions on Netflix but SmartDNS services are currently not working and setting up a VPN on my Mac won't allow me to watch different regions on Netflix on my AppleTV. Ah well. Fingers crossed a solution will come soon!

If the Archer is providing the routing for the network, then the DNS settings on the AirPort will be overrode by the settings of the computer/device or the main router. Changing DNS to one based in another country will not do anything but slow your connection down. You could try a browser with a built in VPN function like Opera, as that may do what you want. As for the Apple TV, short of finding a way to create a permanent VPN into another region there is no way to do that short of Internet Sharing from the computer running VPN.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I use UnblockUs to do exactly what you wish to do. UnblockUs (www.unblock-us.com) works with a redirecting DNS to give access to Netflix etc. I prefer over a VPN service because it allows you to use the full speed of your existing internet connection since there are no VPN related losses.

After activating your account with them, you can either enter their DNS into your computer's network settings, or yet an easier way to do it is by entering the UnblockUs DNS to your router's DNS settings like an Airport Extreme or Time Machine router, or even an Airport Express, which will distribute the DNS to all devices connected.

If you use the method to enter the DNS to be distributed into your router, you may not see it from the network settings on your devices that the UnblockUs DNS is the one being used by them, but you'll know it works because you will have access to Netflix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.