Using Download Helper on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fishniw, Dec 2, 2008.

1. fishniw macrumors regular

hello, I just installed downloadhelper for firefox in order to download youtube videos. However, they are .flv files. Downloadhelper has a built in converter but it seems as if it's not working. It's been over three hours now so I assume something isn't working. The link is to a screenshot of the download queue. thanks

Attached Files:

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    download the free isquint and it will convert the flv files for you. :D

3. fishniw thread starter macrumors regular

I found the problem. The converter can't be found. I thought mac's had one built in though? Maybe i was mistaken

Attached Files:

4. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

you can also use vlc to play the videos in flv.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

The mac doesn't have a built in converter, but there are a plethora of free ones to download if you just google it. :D

6. fishniw thread starter macrumors regular

the ad just below your post was for a video file converter. ads are really getting smarter. alas, it was only for windows. a lot of good they're doing advertising on this website:D

7. fishniw thread starter macrumors regular

i just downloaded isquint, but i can't figure how to set it up with download helper to make it convert automatically.

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

It doesn't do it automatically. I download the flv files or whatever the file is and then drag them into the isquint window and choose how I want the file to be converted.

9. fishniw thread starter macrumors regular

I see, but there has to be a way to auto convert otherwise they wouldn't have this option in preferences

Attached Files:

10. RRutter macrumors 6502

Either get HandBrake, iSquint, or find a retailer that still has any copy of VisualHub (eBay much?) and convert it to whatever you'd like.

I would recommend HandBrake though.

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

The app you're using needs ffmpeg. Install it and you'll be able to convert videos. If you don't want to install it or if you can't figure out how to install it, find something else (such as VLC.)