Using drives from Externals

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fastlanephil, Jun 13, 2014.

1. fastlanephil macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

Would there be any issues taking the two 7200 drives out of my FW800/USB 2.0/ESTA externals and installing them in a 4 Bay Thunderbolt box for my iMac.

Has anyone done this?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Most of the external disk drives that I have had the occasion to take apart have had a standard SATA disk drive inside. If yours is like that, then you should be able to put them in a multi-bay Thunderbolt SATA enclosure without problems.

Note: if your Thunderbolt enclosure has "hardware RAID" capability, you will probably need matched drives for all slots, and may require only certain models of drives (see the enclosure spec sheets for qualified drives).

3. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 65816

fastlanephil

Thanks hfg.

These are all OWC products.

From the spec sheet and some user reviews it pretty much looks like you can mix and match using the Apple Disk Utility to set up Raid 0 and JBOD. My pulled drives would be a 1TB and a 2TB for the JBODs and I would add two matched 2TB drives for RAID 0 which gives you fast loading speeds(audio sample libraries).

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Is this the "ThunderBay IV" enclosure? I have one of those and it will accept pretty much anything you stick in there. I currently have a Seagate 3TB, Seagate 4TB, and a pair of Samsung 840 Pro RAID-0 SSDs in mine.

-howard

5. fastlanephil thread starter macrumors 65816

fastlanephil