Using dropbox or pdf reader

Discussion in 'iPad' started by doandy09, Apr 2, 2011.

1. doandy09 macrumors member

I tried to download a textbook of mine to my iPad to read but iBook won't open it says format is wrong so I tried dropbox and it won't open in there either. Then I tried the PDF reader downloaded it using dropbox but it still won't open the PDF. Is it because it is too big? If so what should I do?

2. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

You could try goodreader. Are you sure it's a normal PDF?

3. doandy09 thread starter macrumors member

Yes I use adobe on my laptop to read it

4. robnick2 macrumors newbie

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

How big is the PDF? If it's a 100mb+ file good luck getting the iPad to handle it.

I had some problems with dropbox reading my PDFs so I got PDF Viewer Pro, but I still haven't tried any pdfs over like 10mb.

6. rjames86 macrumors member

Dropbox uses the iOS file viewer and so if iBooks can't view it, then Dropbox won't be able to either.

Good Reader is usually a good thing to try, especially since there is Dropbox support for it.

7. doandy09 thread starter macrumors member

I tried cloud note and it works....the file is a textbook so 800mb

8. RKpro macrumors 6502

The fact that it's a textbook doesn't indicate that it should be 800MB. Properly optimized ebook textbooks can range from 10MB to 50MB (even with lots of pictures).

If yours is 800MB it's most likely scanned/photographed and pages are images rather than text. You may be able to optimize/reduce and OCR the thing with Adobe Acrobat Pro, or similar application. 800MB PDFs will be slow even on computers.