Using Dropbox

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lacereza, Feb 15, 2009.

1. lacereza macrumors regular

I've had it for a looooong time, almost since it launched, but don't use it often.

How do you guys use it? The mechanics I understand, I'm not looking for a tutorial, I'm curious about the way you utilise it in real life. Do you store a copy of your most important documents there? Just use it sporadically when you know you'll have to access work from other locations? Use it instead of your documents folder?

I have lots of different kinds of docs, and I've just spend the better half of a day organising them into some kind of system. I'd like to start using Dropbox properly but am not quite sure how it will fit into my life (grad student working on multiple documents on multiple computers, terribly disorganised, not sure she wants to have just one copy in Dropbox and none on her actual computer...)

2. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I use Dropbox to keep copies of my school work. It's come in handy a few times.

I keep a copy on my computer until the end of the semester and then it's moved over to an external drive that I keep at my parents' place. I only keep the current semester on my computer.

I also use it to share documents/pictures with family members by sending them a quick link. It's convenient.

3. lacereza thread starter macrumors regular

So do you put the single copies of your schoolwork for the semester in Dropbox, or keep one somewhere on your HD and one in there? I guess I'm a bit leery of putting all my eggs in that one basket...

4. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

Same as the guy above, I keep a copy on my HDD, and one on dropbox. Also, I use dropbox to share folder with a friend. We have a shared folder in dropbox... and we share tons of thing :)

5. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I keep one copy on my HD and another on Dropbox. I remove it from my HD at the start of the new semester.

My school work are divided by folders according to what semester I take the classes (i.e. Fall 08, Spring 09, etc.). Inside those folders, they're put into other folders, this time separated by class names.

6. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Its a great place to keep a simple "todo.txt" list; always accessible. If only I could email stuff to it, it would be awesome.

I can't say whether this is 100%, I will have to check it out, but if you have Time Machine enabled, and its backing up everything in your home drive, then won't it have a copy of everything in Dropbox?