Using DVD Superdrive outside of bay via USB cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikepro, May 18, 2012.

1. mikepro macrumors 6502

So, I've ordered the Crucial m4 SSD upgrade kit, which includes a USB to SATA cable that can be used for data transfer/cloning the existing drive to the new SSD. Once done, I'm planning on removing the DVD drive and putting the old HD in an Optibay in it's place.

Does anyone know what the connections on the back of the DVD superdrive are like? Are they the same as a standard SATA disk drive? If so, then I'm hoping I can use the same USB to SATA data transfer cable in the Crucial kit to connect the bare DVD drive via USB. I'll only want to do this on rare occasions, so I'd like to not have to spend an extra money on an enclosure for the DVD drive. Anyone know if this will work?

Thanks!

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

yes it's standard sata ii.

just get an external enclosure. or the cable that you have (sataii to usb).

3. mikepro thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool, thanks! I'd rather not spend the $10 bucks or so on a cheap enclosure then, if the cable will work. I only use the drive maybe 3-4 times/year. But, I may need to use it during the upgrade process to update firmware or do Lion re-install, so don't want to be caught without something that can make it work.

4. codymac macrumors 6502

Pretty certain it's a slimline SATA connector and that the USB/SATA cable that comes with the Crucials won't fit.

http://thessd.com/2012/05/what-is-slimline-sata-slim-sata/

5. mikepro thread starter macrumors 6502

Yar.... ye've dashed me hopes! (No idea why I'm writing like a pirate, but I did just down 3 tall glasses of Sangria.)

Seems like you are probably right, so, I will need to get an adapter or an enclosure after all. Oh well, thanks for the info!

6. mdhansen5 macrumors member

Yep, you're right. I have the DVD drive from my MacBook pro sitting in front of me right now, and a regular SATA cable isn't going to fit. :(

You can get a fairly cheap enclosure on eBay. I have one an it works really well. Around $15. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-External-USB-enclosure-caddy-case-for-MacBook-9-5mm-12-7mm-SATA-superdrive-/300694584288?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item4602cb3be0#ht_3133wt_1180

Hope that helps! :)

7. codymac macrumors 6502

I had hoped for something similar when I pulled mine.
    :(