using DVD to install snow Lep, how?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doobybiggs, May 16, 2012.

1. doobybiggs, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

doobybiggs macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

I have tried to use my snow leopard disk to install it so I can update it to lion.

I have a new 2011 MBP, but nothing I do will get it to install from the CD.

I have started it up and pressed nothing, it leads me to a terminal looking background and a message saying i need to restart.

I have tried holding C down to get something I have tried command C I have tried command R to get into the options area and still nothing has worked. How do I get it to install from the DVD? :confused::confused:

holding down the option key also brings me to the terminal looking screen asking me to reboot after I click on the install DVD logo. is my drive bad?

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

If it is a late 2011 model, that MBP was shipped with Lion. Snow Leopard doesn't have the drivers for it, hence the kernel panic.

Try pressing and holding <cmd-R> at boot. (cmd is the key between alt/option and space bar). This should make it boot into the recovery partition and enable you to reinstall Lion.

EDIT: I've just seen you already did that. The timing is crucial with this. Press the keys only after the startup chime but not too late.

3. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

Ooooh ok I was holding CMD R too late.

Got that to work, but now I need to buy Lion and put it on my account. How can I do that when I only have one apple computer and its this one? I tried iphone but it only let me search for iphone apps. :confused::confused:

any ideas? do I have to go to the apple store to get them to help with this or what?

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

No you don't. The MacBook reports it serial number to the Apple Servers, which know it shipped with Lion. The OS X license is tagged to the hardware, not an Apple ID.

Did you skip the registration of OS X when you setup the machine originally?

5. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

well it asks me to sign in with my apple id to install lion cause it wants to download it from the app store, which is weird ...

I bought it used from the original owner ... and I put a new hard drive in it if that has any effect ...

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sounds like the machine didn't originally ship with Lion, then, so it's verifying if you've purchased a copy of Lion. You have a couple choices:

1. Find someone else with a Mac who will let you sign in and purchase Lion with your Apple ID (you can then stop the download and enter the same Apple ID in the Internet Recovery on the MacBook Pro).

2. Get the original install disks for that model. You should be able to call Apple and purchase a new set for a nominal fee (usually about $10).

jW

7. goRoostr macrumors member

Your Macbook Pro was probably shipped with Lion, and they do not sell install DVD's for it, just Flash Drives that cost about $70. That's why they give you the recovery partition, so you can reinstall off of that, but if you put in a new hard drive its useless.

8. doobybiggs thread starter macrumors 6502

doobybiggs

ya I had to buy Lion over and install it again that way ... finally got it figured out after all this. thanks for the help and this was a huge pain haha.

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

That's rot. New Macs ship with Internet recovery in the firmware.

10. goRoostr macrumors member

Completely blanked my mind, I was forced to learn it and never actually used it because we install everything via the USB drive here.. Thanks for the refresh.