Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skywavesli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
Hi,

I've looked around but can't really find a clear answer to this.

I have an original iPhone EDGE and would like to upgrade to a iPhone 3GS to get its hardware improvements. I, however, don't mind not having 3G as I often have WiFi and find EDGE fast enough for my needs.

I know there's a way to turn off 3G in settings. So, if I put my EDGE SIM card in the new iPhone and turn 3G off can I keep my current $20/month EDGE plan?

Any help at all would help,

Thanks so much!

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
In theory, yes. However, it all depends on whether or not you're willing to pay *full price* for the phone. If not, your plan will be reset and you'll be paying $30 per months for data, just like the rest of the current 3G users.

The jist is not having your original contract reset and retain month-to-month.

w00master

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
I believe AT&T does serial number/IMEI sweeps to ensure high speed users are on higher speed plans, but this may not be the case. Or this could be a part of the sign up process when you first connect the phone to iTunes to unlock it. Of course this can be averted via jailbreak/unlock but I don't know the progress of a 3G S unlock.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. I never had to deal with ATT. I unlocked my first gen iPhone first day for tmo lol.

Legolai

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2009
to be honest, the majority of sim cards are 3G capable anyway, at least they are in the uk, i would assume the US too, remember 3G was already around before the original iphone, so the sim most likely will access a 3G signal in a 3G capable phone. i had several 3G phones before the original iphone came out (i didnt get it, as i had an n95) but 3G has been a standard feature for at least 3 years on some phones

bjquach

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
PA
If the sim says 3G on it anywhere, it will work. But if it is a regular sim without 3g branding, it MAY not work properly.

skywavesli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
If the sim says 3G on it anywhere, it will work. But if it is a regular sim without 3g branding, it MAY not work properly.

The SIM does say 3G on it however, I'm worried that if I actually use 3G without the $30/month 3G plan then they'll figure out what's going on, and charge me some absurd amount per MB for not having a plan for it.

Ripcord83

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
Bay Area, CA
if you get your new iphone from a second source or buy one without upgrading your plan you should be able to use edge and even 3g with your old data plan of $20.

if you get the iphone from apple or att (or what ever your local carrier is) they will make you upgrade your plan.

my cousin got an iphone but uses his sim from his regular 3g phone and it works fine. att also thinks he uses his old phone not an iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.