Using Education Discount to get Fair Price in UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smali, Aug 6, 2011.

1. smali macrumors regular

I came out of Uni a little while ago and was "spoilt" on the educational pricing. I couldn't believe how much Apple are ripping off UK customers especially on the Macbook Pros when I went into the "normal" Apple Store online.

Sorry Apple but your American Dollar is worth much less than my British Pound so instead of getting ripped off I'll buy through the educational store or use my expired (but no date on it) student ID instore.

Just saved myself a tidy £400+ on a new macbook pro with apple care

I love your stuff Apple, just don't rip us off :eek:

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Yay for you.:rolleyes:

If Apple's pricing is so unfair, would you care to explain their record sales? Seems most people don't have a problem with their prices.....

3. ToniqR macrumors member

ToniqR

I have no problem with apple charging a high price for a premium product. But what i don't get is why they think its fair to charge so much more for the same product outside the US.
    For example in the Uk, we pay the equivalent of over $1600 (£999) for the cheapest MBP, over $400 more than the us store :confused:
    Thats what I don't like, just glad i have my uni discount!. :)

4. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Blame your country for VAT.

Or are you just conveniently forgetting about that?

5. Surely Guest

Surely

^^^^Ooo, I know the answer to that.:p

Because your prices include VAT. Our prices don't include sales tax.

6. afd macrumors 6502a

VAT is only:rolleyes: 20% so that's a 200 difference instead of 400. I don't imagine Apple is selling at a loss in the education store so they must be making huge profits in the normal store.

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Or maybe they are funding things like employee's rights (holiday, working hours, maternity/paternity, sick leave etc) and consumer rights. These increase the cost of business compared to the US. You think a full-time employee being entitled to 28 days PAID holiday is cheap?

Plus the education discount is partly the product of lucrative contracts Apple signed with the UK university buying consortium.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Plus, on top of that, if I understand correctly - EU/UK consumer laws make Apple responsible for warranty repairs for two or more years, instead of the one year in the US and Canada.

Plus there will be customs and tariffs, and customs inspection fees.

So Apple has more expenses to do business in the UK.

I get tired of people who can't afford something, rationalize ripping it off as "their right" to decide whether it's fairly priced or not, and then come here and look for acceptance. If you can't afford something, don't buy it. That's what capitalism is about. I also live in a country where we are paying more than the Americans do, due to our strong dollar. It's just part of the living in a global economy. Sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.