Using EFI 32 from 8800 GT on GTX 285 Mac Edition

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ti22, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Ti22 macrumors newbie

hey guys,

I don't know if this will work but would it be possible to use the EFI firmware from the GT8800 and flash it onto the GTX285 mac Edition? or something? to make it work on the Macpro 1,1 (2006-2007 Mac Pro Users)

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

...that certainly wouldn't work. EFI flashing requires cards to be of the same type (ie: 8800GT with 8800GT or similar, or GTX 285 with GTX 285).

3. Ti22 thread starter macrumors newbie

how about chopping up the EFI32 part from the 8800 GT and combinging it with the original EFI from the GTX285

i mean compare the EFI 64 from 8800GT to EFI 32 and get just the part that are different.

and then simply replace the EFI64 part of the GTX with the EFI 32 part.

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

You want to give that a go?

Firmware isn't just about taking bits and pieces from places and hoping it'll work. The solution for getting a GTX 285 on a 2006 Mac Pro is to use netkas' injector plus GT200 drivers.

5. MacVidCards Suspended

Right idea.......

I think a better question is whether it is possible to recompile or re-write EFI64 into either EFI32 or the EBC code ATI uses.

I GUARANTEE that EVGA wishes there was an easy way to do this, it would more than DOUBLE their potential user base for Mac GTX285 so it is rather discouraging that they haven't done it. (might be proof that it is beyond us)

With 10thhzmac report of ROM file being 156K vs. PC file at 64K.....I doubt they puffed it up with 00000000's to fill a larger chip.

Who wants to step up with the facts on EFI64 vs 32 here?

6. AdvocateUK macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

I emailed Jacob at EVGA asking if the 285 will work in my 2007 Mac Pro (1,1) here is his reply, along with mine to him.

And my reply

I'll post his reply when I get it :)

7. AdvocateUK macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

Wow Jacob replies quickly! Unfortunately not with the best of news this time.

Here's hoping though!

8. MacVidCards Suspended

GREAT JOB !!!

While you have his attention, you might point out that they could DOUBLE their potential customers by writing an EFI32 version.

9. Cuda macrumors member

Without the source code, it's not real easy, however UGA.

Most of the EFI firmware for Nvidia cards is all the same, so as to comply with UGA, so edits to the Firmware, sort of like what was done with the NDVA,BMP with PPC FCode Roms.

A lot of the EFI Code is not needed, really only a basic UGA so you could get an EFI Shell, and Text and basic Color for Mach_kernel, Once NVResman loads, there is no use for the EFI part anyway.

I think we could Decompile the 7600GT 32bit EFI and know where to start, then recompile EBC.

Thats my take on what UGA is meant to be, Basic parts of the Nvidia EFI rom should work with any NV GPU, so you could well flash an altered 8800 Rom to a later card, and at least see something on your screen.

I could be wrong, or only half right on some points, however, when it comes to NVDA and Mac's, I've not often failed to get it working correct.

Code:
    Renderer: NVIDIA Quadro FX 560 OpenGL Engine
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Memory: 256 MB
Version: 2.0 NVIDIA-1.5.49
Shading language version: 1.20
    So start Here as the 7600GT's EFI was compiled with edk Tiano 2005 12 14.

That's about all I should say as DMCA issues and such, feel free to PM me for a better understanding of how to have a basic look at what the EFI code is, is not.

10. AdvocateUK macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

Another update from EVGA, with good news.

First my reply to him.

Then his reply

I hope they sort this out for us

11. Cuda macrumors member

Hmmmmm....................

/Edk/Sample/Bus/Pci/VgaMiniPort/Dxe/VgaMiniPort.c

Hmmmmmm................/Edk/Sample/Bus/WinNtThunk/Uga/Dxe/WinNtUgaDriver.c

12. netkas macrumors 65816

it works onlt for duet iirc

to get vga/vesa output mode with a card, card has to be POSTed, it can be done by card's bios or efi uga driver.

in case with macpro - vgfa bios cant do it, because its not used, vga's uga driver is missing(or wrong arch) and cant be used.

Also apple changed their own uga/gop protocol, running their uga drivers in DUET result in panic.