Using Emails instead of SMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sal510, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Sal510 macrumors member

so we are limited to 200 if you stay with that plan or if you decided to upgrade to 1500 or unlimited but what about us cheap folks wouldnt it be possible to email a phone since we have unlimited email usage??

2. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

I thought about that but I like having SMS and email in different places. SMS looks really cool on iPhone. I am gonna upgrade.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah. You can google for the domains for each of the carriers, then just email to *phone number*@*carrier domain*.com/net/whatever.

The trouble is when they want to reply. If they know your number, great, they can SMS you back (not reply). But if not, well.

4. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

You'd essentially have to email each other at <phonenumber>@<AT&T's SMS portal>.

But you'll still get deducted from that 200 since AT&T counts both incoming and outgoing txts against your total.

Its better just to use email to each other.

5. Sal510 thread starter macrumors member

they can save your number to their address book under email (if the phone has that)

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, but at least it'll only count incoming SMS messages, not outgoing, essentially doubling your potential SMS messages! Well, in theory anyway :)

7. Twinkie macrumors regular

Yes.

Keep in mind that the recipient may not have an SMS package either. And typically, inbound messages (3135551212@wirelesscarrier.com) are treated as SMS messages.

So while you may think you're Captain Awesome with your unlimited e-mail access, the recipient could be getting billed $0.10 for every inbound message. ;)

8. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Most providers let you send/receive emails through text, so your "email address" on a normal phone could be 5551234567@verizon.net or whatever and they can send texts to you at your normal email address.

So you could probably just use email and still chat with your friends with only text via email... unlimited email for you, unlimited texts for them?

9. Sal510 thread starter macrumors member

well remember i mostly text people have have MetroPCS so they have unlimited messaging so that wont be a problem for me