Using Enclosed Hard Drive to Restore Files to New Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Twilight Elk, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Twilight Elk macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

Hello everyone;

I bought a new 500GB WD hard drive for my Late 2008 MacBook to upgrade from my 250GB drive. I have a hard drive enclosure, but I was wondering if when I install my 500GB hard drive, would I be able to use the enclosure to transfer files from my 250GB drive?

I hope this was specific enough to get a clear response. If not, I'll try re-wording my question.

2. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

We need more more information to help. We need the specific hard drive and enclosures. If you can post links to each product, that would make it easier.

3. Twilight Elk thread starter macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

One plan could be:

1. Put the new drive into the enclosure and prepare the drive with Disk Utility.
    2. Clone the internal (old) drive to the new drive with SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner.
    3. Test to make sure that the clone worked and is bootable by starting your computer with it.
    4. Switch the drives and your MacBook will be exactly like it was (only bigger) and you'll have a portable 250GB drive to use for backups.

-GDF

5. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

6. Twilight Elk thread starter macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

That actually made more sense than what I was going to try.

I am in the process of backing up my entire drive to the 500GB and will let you know how it goes. Thank you :)

7. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

To support GfulDedFan's excellent advice this instructional video might be of use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp47AQinUM8

8. Twilight Elk thread starter macrumors regular

Twilight Elk

All of you guys have been a wonderful help.

I'm sure I successfully cloned my hard drive, but I do not have the screwdrivers to actually install it yet. I should be able to get that part done tomorrow.
    Thank you so much for the tips, and I will come back and let you guys know how it went.