Using (english) Siri with a spaniard accent??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by senc01a, Oct 15, 2011.

1. senc01a macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I am considering buying the new iPhone 4S but I have a little question.
    I am originally from Spain, and even though I speak english relatively decent and fluent english, I do have a considerably strong spaniard accent. Therefore my question is very simple.
    How well does Siri understand spanish users speaking english? I've seen some videos on youtube of asian speaking people using it and the result was terrible, although I think that their accent seems harder to understand, plus, their grammar had a lot to improve.
    Any thoughts or experiences on that?
    How well does it recognize if you are american and you use it with british english for example?

Thanks guys!!!

2. senc01a thread starter macrumors regular

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am Australian and use the united states version as it allows more features and it works fine.

4. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

To be fair, I barely understood him.

Because although he maybe speaking english, he is saying

wat weda today.

Both pronunciation and structure is way off. Of course Siri won't be able to help.

5. senc01a thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, the japanese example was definitely not the best.
    But then again, what might happen if you have a spanish accent but at least the structure is ok?
    :D

6. xian67 macrumors regular

Lmfao.

7. TheComposer macrumors member

Yo creo que estarás bien :)

Besides, i think they'll eventually add more languages for Siri, spanish included of course!!, that japanese dude barely could speak english at all.

8. cinek macrumors 6502

me too!

9. apd8, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

apd8 macrumors member

I'm not a native English speaker either, but Siri works fine for me. It didn't understand me sometimes, but only when I pronounced words incorrectly. I think basically it catches the key words in the sentence and take actions base on the key words, so I think it will work fine (or better) for you.

I tried UK and Australian English mode, all worked fine. I don't have to change my accent at all (and I can't anyway). I also tried German and talked to Siri with some simple words that I know, it worked fine too. (Like 'Wie heiBt du' and it answered 'Mein Name ist Siri. ...')

By the way, I'm Asian and fyi, not all Asian accents are hard to understand. (but the one in the video is really!):p

Just add a picture below.
    The translation is:
    Me: I love you
    Siri: I bet you say this to all of your Apple products.

Attached Files: