Using Enthernet port while wifi is turned on

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Jigga Beef, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Jigga Beef macrumors regular

Since the appletv has decided to not work as well on a wired connection i am forced to have the wifi turned on with my mac pro now. WiFi actually helps sync applications like "Things" so not a huge complaint just was wondering if its possible for Wifi to be on while still using a wired connection?

2. akadmon macrumors 68010

I'm sure by now you've already answered your own question.

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yes, but that's hiding the issue.

Something is wrong with your Apple TV or wired network if it works better with Wi-Fi than with an Ethernet cable.

4. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Does any computer when using both WiFi and Ethernet to connect to the same source (broadband router in this case) use both mediums to increase bandwidth or just pick the fastest of the two?

OP have you checked your cabling

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Check your network settings on the ATV...If it won't connect via cable, then replace the cabling..If that won't cure the issue get it to Apple...It should work fine over ethernet unless your security settings are blocking it which I doubt.

6. netkas macrumors 65816

Windows choose fastest, mac choose the one with higher priority, the order is in network prefpane

7. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

OK, wouldn't it make sense to use both, given today's need for bandwidth. Should be an obvious one but then again I guess I'm among the few who uses both (fast channel to NAS sometimes and gaming over ethernet etc)