Using Ethernet and WiFi (AirPort) simultaneously

Discussion in 'macOS' started by parish, Feb 10, 2011.

1. parish macrumors 65816

parish

I use an AEBS as my router and WiFi access point. My MBP uses WiFi normally. I also have an old PC running Ubuntu Linux that I'm setting up as a DLNA server, which connects to the AEBS via Gigabit Ethernet (no WiFi on this machine).

I also use the Linux box as a secondary backup for my MBP. When I need to do that I connect the MBP to the AEBS using the Ethernet port.

First time I did this I left AirPort on and the transfer didn't seem particularly fast, so I stopped the copy, turned AirPort off on the MBP and restarted the copy. This time it seemed much faster. I know there are many things that affect throughput, but it made me wonder how OS X decides which connection to use when both wired and wireless are available. Both are on the same sub-net.

Does it always use the fastest connection? Will it "flip-flop" between the two? Do I need to turn AirPort off to guarantee/force it to use Gigabit?

2. RainbowOfBeans macrumors member

RainbowOfBeans

Ethernet vs. Airport

The Mac will use whatever connection was made first before a transfer started. so you could connect the ethernet start the backup, then turn airport back on, secondly you should only need the ethernet attached for the first backup all the others after are MUCH smaller and therefore transfer MUCH faster with just Airport. That help any?:confused:

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Actually you don't need to do anything.
    OS X automatically choses the fastest connection available, assuming that both connections have connectivity to the same device.

No need to disconnect a connection.

4. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

That answers my question perfectly. Thanks :)

5. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

Ah, even better :D Thanks!

I guess then that the (apparent) slow speed in my original test would be caused by other things - e.g. lots of small files?

6. biosci macrumors 6502a

I have found that on a mac, ethernet only doesn't give you location services. But when you have wifi on, location services work. GPS located on wifi chip?

7. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

There is no GPS on the wifi chip. In this case, location is determined based on the locally advertised WiFi networks. This is checked against a database, and your approximate location can be inferred.