Using Ethernet with the Ipad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by A.R.E.A.M., Nov 20, 2015.

1. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

Chaps,

This is my first apple product.

I prefer to use a wired ethernet for the Ipad Pro when im at the office so i can be inside the intranet without having to tunnel in via VPN.

Is it necessary for both wifi and cellular (I've a 128gb lte model) radios to be switched off manually in order for the tablet to use Ethernet?

Or can I just leave them on and the tablet will recognize Ethernet and use it primarily?

Cheers to all!

2. svendobbelaere macrumors member

Where exactly are you going to plug in the ethernet?

I don't think there's a lightning to ethernet adapter either, so you'd have to go lightning to USB to usb to ethernet (if that even works?)?

3. A.R.E.A.M. thread starter macrumors regular

I appreciate your offer to lend support. :)

to follow up, I already have a usb 3.0 to ethernet hub connected to the lightning to usb cable on the pro and I have connectivity (verified by the data leds on the rj45 port on the adapter and also being able to be on the internet).

my question is simply, does the ios know to use the ethernet connection OVER the other connections (wifi/cellular) or is it not designed to do that and you must turn off the radios to force the ios to only use the ethernet connection.

clear as mud? :)

4. svendobbelaere macrumors member

Ah okay, so you've got the cable part covered already. Cool!

On my laptop, under OS X, in System Preferences --> network --> you can set the service order, so I have wired ethernet before wifi.

I've been going through the settings app on my iPhone, but I don't see anything similar there though. Hm. Sorry.

5. A.R.E.A.M. thread starter macrumors regular

thank you for your response.

seems i just need to disable those radios manually then. \

i appreciate the help.

6. dyn macrumors 68030

Disable them and you'll probably see that you have no internet connection at all. The leds on the rj45 port flash because there is a physical connection. For this to work requires iOS to have the drivers for the network card in the usb solution AND this to be recognised via the Lightning port. I highly doubt this is the case. If it were then it would have been frontpage news on many Apple websites.

There is little need for the wired connection if the office has wifi. You simply connect to the correct network. If not then there are wifi-ethernet solutions but this might not be allowed in your office (check with the IT department!).

7. A.R.E.A.M. thread starter macrumors regular

@dyn ,

thank you for your willingness to help. however i dont think you understood my original post.

first, i DO have a wired connection using the camera cable and a usb ethernet hub. the activity leds only light up when there is a connection to the tablet and the network. data leds flicker as normal. this is confirmed with ALL radios off (cellular, bluetooth, wifi). I dont think this is rocket science as I only learned about it from an internet search.

secondly, i want to use wired over wireless so i can be on the company intranet and not have to vpn wirelessly. you may not see/understand the benefits of a wired connection but in my world it can be helpful.

so i know i can get data wired. that was never the question. my question was if the tablet would see it first and use it rather than have me to manually turn off the radios first. its a lazy question (takes a couple seconds to tick the buttons) but i wanted to ask anyway.. :p

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It's likely if there is ethernet support that iOS will prioritize ethernet just as OS X does by default. You could check this by accessing a local resource (ftp server, etc) and observing which local IP address it uses when all radios are on.

9. dyn macrumors 68030

There are NICs that will only light 1 LED on the NIC to show that there is a physical connection and there are ones that will flash both LEDs. That doesn't mean that you can actually use it and that the computer (or iPad in this case) has connectivity. When having all radios turned on this can make one think there is a connection so that's why you always need to turn them off to test it.

I know the benefits but I also know that the setup you have is there for a very good reason. This usually done because of security and sometimes there also is a certain company policy tied to it. That's why there is no need for the wire (although it is desirable) and that's why you need to check with IT first. In case of wired connections there can be more to it. Often times VLANs are used and the MAC-address needs to be registered in order to be given the proper IP-settings. Another reason why you should check with IT.

See Fuchals post for a simple check.

10. A.R.E.A.M. thread starter macrumors regular

hello again!

i appreciate your continued responses, however with all due respect, I think you are going off topic from what I was initially asking.

I am well aware of how IT infrastructure works and I am also equally aware why wifi/intranet/vpn settings are in place corporate wide.

by the by, since even before i posted this thread I have been using the tablet on wired connections. yes i have all radios manually turned off to make certain I am on wired.

I also know how NIC cards work. I know what the activity leds mean.

did not mean to turn this into a computer class. I only asked a simple question about the ipad as I am a complete new user to iOS. its no big deal for me to turn the radios off manually when on wired.

at any rate, i do appreciate you kind sir/ma'am for taking time to respond to this thread and posting your thoughts. :)

11. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

I do not know specifically how to achieve what you want. However, I found a post about setting up a wireless network preference using an app called Apple Configurator 2. The poster mentioned setting up customer configuration profiles. Perhaps this may work. Here is a link to the Configurator 2 help file.