Using European iPhone 3G as modem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kntgsp, Oct 22, 2008.

1. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Just had a quick question to put forth.

I know there isn't any official support for using the iPhone has a modem through the app store.

However I do remember reading about some program available under the jailbreak repositories that enables this function.

My question is whether anyone in Europe has tried this with the 3G iPhone?

I'm in the process of moving there and was probably going to pick it up. And if anyone in Germany/Switzerland/Austria has had any luck doing that, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I know T-Mobile gives you automatic free hotspot access in Europe (and they literally blanket Germany), but I was still curious.

Thanks

2. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

There was Netshare in the app store but it got removed if you jailbreak you can use pda net!

Hope this helps!

3. kntgsp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well anyway, here's some info in case this helps anyone. I went and played around with the iPhone at the T-Mobile shop here and also went around to Vodafone and O2.

Something interesting to note, is that the 3G performance sucks or is non-existant. And it's not the network, it's the phone. I know people have had problems in the US with ATT, but in the European version it's chip related. I spoke with someone who wasn't an employee of either shop who had the 3G iphone and actually switched to another 3G cellphone after having crappy reception with multiple 3G iPhones.

Here's the kicker: You couldn't even get a 3G signal with the iPhone WHILE IN THE T-MOBILE SHOP, hahah. You pick up the phone next to it (in this case the Blackberry Bold 9000) and it has a super fast HSDPA connection.

The HSDPA phones I played around with all connected to the 3G networks without issue, even the smartphones like the MDA and various Blackberries.

It's dissapointing really, because you can get the phone for free with some of the plans, but you wind up with EDGE most of the time.

I'm probably going to go with a Nokia E71 or N96 and wait for iPhone 3.0

4. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Hi, I think is T-mobile problem related, because I use Movistar in my country(Spain, also an european one :p) and I have never had any 3G issue!