Using existing XP install in Parrallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dhelsdon, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Hi,

Just curious if this is possible.. Hypothetically could I clone a disk running windows XP (Work PC) onto an external drive, and run that through Parrallels?

My guess is no, the people on the Parallels forum are unresponsive and I can't use a fresh install because there is so much software and settings I need to retain.

Thanks in advance for your help!:apple:

2. Dhelsdon thread starter macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Could I do this with bootcamp, then use my SL disk for drivers?

ie: Boot from the external cloned disk into windows and then install drivers, or is it more complicated then that?

3. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

Neither scenario would work. There are specific device drivers related to Bootcamp and the Parallels VM which would not be present on your PC install of XP.

4. Dhelsdon thread starter macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

The plan

I'll try taking a backup from Arconis, then doing a fresh install and restore from the backup.. I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work?

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmm, use Acronis to restore onto a VM? No. It wouldn't even work restoring onto a real disk, as Acronis doesn't understand the Mac partitions and will likely end up damaging your boot partition.

Restoring a backup (Acronis or Windows backup) from another computer onto your MBA would likely not work since you would be restoring all your original drivers. IF it would boot (which I doubt) then you could reinstall all the drivers.

6. Dhelsdon thread starter macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

What I ended up doing what using VMware's free conversion tool. It converts a physical hard disk to a VM. I am now using VMware Fusion to run my work pc. All went daily smoothly.. I had to reactivate xp, and most of the software but thats not a big deal. No problems with drivers or anything, I just used the VMware Installation tool after I booted then it picked up all the drivers. Had to delete all the peripherals prior to this, because it carried it over. After I deleted them everything worked great!

Here's a link to the software I used - VMware vCenter Converter