Using External Drive As iTunes Library Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jroug, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jroug macrumors member

I have a 160 GB iPod classic and it isn't full yet, but it's close. The disk on my iMac is close to full, so I'm getting a message that says "Disk is almost full, must delete files before adding more" - I'm paraphrasing, as you can imagine.

Anyhoo, I have deleted all my duplicated tracks and I have about a hundred CDs sitting here waiting to be added to my library.

I understand I can copy all of my music to a larger external drive and then switch the location of the files in iTunes to the external and that should work in terms of taking the stress off my startup disk and allowing me to get to 160GB worth of music on my iPod.

So - two questions:

1) I have the external drive, but then I noticed my iMac only has 3 USB outs. Since I'll neec my mouse, keyboard, external drive and ipod dock all connected at the same time, can I use a USB hub to solve this problem? If so, can I attach both the dock and the external drive to the hub? My caveman brain seems to imagine a traffic jam in there...

2) Conversely, as I only use this mac for iTunes (we are a six computer household), can I delete unneccessary program from the iMac and not have to rig this external drive as my library? If so, what are those programs?

Thanks in advance!

2. awr macrumors member

i can only answer your first question:

you can pug your mouse into your keyboard, then your keyboard into the imac, leaving 2 ports, one for drive and one for ipod dock

(assuming you have the apple keyboard and mouse)

3. kolax macrumors G3

1. A USB hub will solve the problem - although make sure your iPod gets its own port from your iMac rather than on the hub (especially if were going to have your hard drive plugged into the same hub).

2. Well, OS X by default gives you about 3GB's worth of printer drivers and about 1.5GB's worth of language packs. There is third party tools to remove these. Also, have a look in your Applications folder and view by list (CMD+2) and sort by size, see if there is anything in there that is relatively big that you don't need. Although an external hard drive is probably the easiest option - allows you to easily move your music library about, and at some point down the line, you'll end up wanting to store your ripped DVD's on it etc.

I'd buy one so your set for your future needs.

4. Wardotron macrumors member

I have used an external HD to store my iTunes for yonks, it works very well.

1. Simply copy the whole "iTunes" folder, including subfolders and other gubbins, to the external HD.
    2. Open iTunes holding down the ALT key.
    3. iTunes will ask you which library to open. Point it to the iTunes folder on your external HD. Hey presto!

You might also want to double check that the correct library is selected in iTunes preferences. Also check the box that says "Keep iTunes organised".

I would also advise buying the biggest HD you can. It will fill quicker than you think!

5. jroug thread starter macrumors member

Thanks - I'd never noticed the USB outs on the keyboard. Seems like that problem is solved, leaving me with an out from the Mac for both Ext Drive and Mouse.

6. Wardotron macrumors member