Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Hello all,

Now, I have searched Google and this forum for an answer to my question, and this is my last resort. I was up till 1:45 AM this morning trying to solve it.

Back on 10.5.5 and below, I was able to install Windows with Boot Camp and my External DVD Drive - My Internal SuperDrive is in the jelly and won't work. But on 10.5.6, Windows decided to give me licensing problems after I tried to use it with VMWare Fusion 2.0. So, in temper I deleted the partition in Boot Camp Assistant.

On the creation of a new, bigger partition for Windows 7 Public Beta, I found that I could no longer use my External DVD Drive to install Windows in Boot Camp.

So, now, Apple has pretty much forced me to come and get the SuperDrive fixed ($65 for a QUOTE, and Over $150 to get the thing fixed) if I want to install Windows onto my Mac.

Is there any solution? Like replacing the Kext file from 10.5.5? (If so, how do I do it?????)

Please help me, as I have (for the first time) seriously considered going back to my PC in 10 years.

(a very stressed) allbrokeup :D:D:D

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Hmm, if you have an external hard drive, try using Disk Utility to clone the DVD onto a partition on the drive. Run Boot Camp Assistant, but this time, hold down the option key when the computer restarts. Select the drive partition and boot to that.

I really hope that works. :D

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Haven't got an External HDD yet....:(.....

Can I do the same with my Internal Disk? (Edit: Refuses to work, I tried to restore, but it won't work from ISO's to HDD)

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I suggested an external drive in particular because I seem to remember Boot Camp being rather finicky about installing to drives that are already partitioned.

Why are you trying to restore from an ISO? Just restore from your external DVD drive. It does work in OS X, doesn't it?

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
It's being a real idiot and its not working, so, I have partitioned 30GB for Leopard 10.5.0 and am installing as I write this, after I reboot into it, I will use that to install Windows in Boot Camp, hope this workssss :D:D:D

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
It's all OK now.

I ended up using rEFIt, which allowed me to boot into the Windows DVD and install it to my 30GB Partition. I now have Windows Vista Ultimate, all stable and (well..........stable and nice is a bit overrated) nice. Stuff Windows 7 Beta, I just wanna keep it how I have it now, after two days of nothing but stress. I'm now off to Coldrock for a lovely Ice-Cream.

Thanks for all your help,

allbrokeup

jeffplaysmoog

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
allbrokeup - would it be too much trouble to give me a description of the steps you took to install windows? My Superdrive has died and I have been trying to install bootcamp with no success. I have scoured the internet to no avail. I have checked out the rEFIt but I am not sure what needs to be done. Thanks!

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Simply download rEFIt:

Here

And run the installer when the DMG mounts. An "efi" folder will appear inside Macintosh HD. Leave it. Make a blank partition for Windows (if you haven't already). Any size will do. Insert the Windows Install DVD/CD into the external drive.

Reboot...

Hold Option...

Select the disk with the name "rEFIt" in bold. After a short delay, a logo will appear "rEFIt". And a series of icons. Press the corresponding arrow key to go to the disc. Select it, and it will then boot into the Install CD**.

** Denotes that this process DOES take a lot of time, the computer or rEFIt hasn't crashed, just wait it out, everything can be sluggish.

Make sure the Windows partition is formatted as FAT (MS-DOS). If you made it with Boot Camp Assistant, it will be. Otherwise, open up Disk Utility and do it.

Once in the Windows installer:

For Vista, format the disk to NTFS in Drive Options directly from the Installer. If it says "Windows cannot be installed onto this Disk. The selected disk is of the GPT Partition Table", go back to OS X and format the Partition to FAT and select the appropriate partition for install when you are back in.

For XP or previous, simply continue the Install, For gods sake, make sure you look at which partition you install to :D :D, I didn't once, and lost everything.

Above is exactly what I did. I wrote it all down so I wouldn't forget it. I knew it may come in handy :D:D:D

allbrokeup

jeffplaysmoog

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
Thanks a lot! I am going to give it a try. This is great though. I have been trying to reinstall windows with much frustration since my superdrive died. I have a great external FW400 DVD drive, but the regular windows installer will not recognize the disc.

jeffplaysmoog

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
hmmm... well, it did not seem to work for me. You are using a USB CD drive, yes? Maybe my problem is the Firewire drive? rEFIt found the cd and I selected it. The program hangs a moment and then a DOS looking message comes up saying "no bootable media, please strike key" but my keyboard does not work (using a core2duo MBP). Is it possible to load from an ISO image with rEFIt and install from that? I tried the load legacy from HDD option, but it just leads me down the same path. Should I put an ISO in a special folder for rEFIt to see it? Thanks again.

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
hmmm... well, it did not seem to work for me. You are using a USB CD drive, yes? Maybe my problem is the Firewire drive? rEFIt found the cd and I selected it. The program hangs a moment and then a DOS looking message comes up saying "no bootable media, please strike key" but my keyboard does not work (using a core2duo MBP). Is it possible to load from an ISO image with rEFIt and install from that? I tried the load legacy from HDD option, but it just leads me down the same path. Should I put an ISO in a special folder for rEFIt to see it? Thanks again.

My DVD Drive (External) is both Firewire and USB, however I did test it with USB. Is the Disc bootable?

Another way is to make a really small partition with boot camp and make another one from the Leopard Install DVD that is the size you want, use Disk Utility to do this, and restore the ISO Image to the small partition, and format the bigger partition to FAT, then continue with Windows installation, but in rEFIt, choose to boot from the small Partition which will load the Windows installer.

This method did work for my friend, not me, so the details are a little foggy. Sorry :D:D

If you need anything else, just post back and I will see if I can help...

Edit 1: I googled rEFIt, and it doesn't look like it is possible to boot from an ISO directly. Just to let you know.

allbrokeup

molson2k

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2007
Hey I'm having the same problem. I installed rEFit fine and when I restarted my Mac it brought up the rEFit boot screen. When I selected my XP disc from my USB DVD Drive, it would show up as "no bootable media detected" or something along those lines. Any way around this or to get it to work?

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Hiya there,

Good lord it has been sometime since I started this thread :D

It seems that rEFIt has problems with Notebook Mac's - Especially MBP's.
The method I explained above some months ago (the one with the link to rEFIt) worked like a charm for several co-workers and friends, all on iMac's or Mac Pros.

I am sorry it hasn't worked for you, but feel free to PM if you still have trouble, and I will help you there. It doesn't seem justified to bump an old thread like this :D:D:D:D

allbrokeup

jbone567

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
wow what an awesome program just installed widows with my external burner(cause superdrives suck and break all the time). rEFIT rules.

ldonhat

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2009
I'm trying rEFIt also

My DVD Drive (External) is both Firewire and USB, however I did test it with USB. Is the Disc bootable?

Another way is to make a really small partition with boot camp and make another one from the Leopard Install DVD that is the size you want, use Disk Utility to do this, and restore the ISO Image to the small partition, and format the bigger partition to FAT, then continue with Windows installation, but in rEFIt, choose to boot from the small Partition which will load the Windows installer.

This method did work for my friend, not me, so the details are a little foggy. Sorry :D:D

If you need anything else, just post back and I will see if I can help...

Edit 1: I googled rEFIt, and it doesn't look like it is possible to boot from an ISO directly. Just to let you know.

allbrokeup

I am very grateful for all your posts. I am also needing to install XP into bootcamp from an external drive (my internal drive has also kissed its a** goodbye). My first attempt was like Molson's so I think I need to try your suggestion above. I'm not clear on the small partition point however. Are you saying to boot first from the leopard disc, then create the small partition using disk utility and install a windows ISO into the small partition? Would it work to just copy the windows installation files to the small partition? Why does it need to be an ISO? and if it does need to be an ISO how do we get to that point? I assume an ISO needs to be made from the xp installation disc? thanks in advance for your help

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
If you have an ISO handy, you can create a small Partition on the External Disk with Disk Utility whilst Booted up. Its either that or use a USB DVD Drive with a Disc. If not, make the small partition and restore the ISO yes, and then the Windows Installer will boot. You will need another Partition for Windows, and I think you need to be Booted from the OS X DVD to create that, try Boot Camp.

gussy44

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
Simply download rEFIt:

Here

Reboot...

Hold Option...

Select the disk with the name "rEFIt" in bold. After a short delay, a logo will appear "rEFIt". And a series of icons. Press the corresponding arrow key to go to the disc. Select it, and it will then boot into the Install CD**.

** Denotes that this process DOES take a lot of time, the computer or rEFIt hasn't crashed, just wait it out, everything can be sluggish.

allbrokeup

When you said it takes a long time after selecting the Windows CD from the rEFIt menu. How long did you mean. It's been paused on a grey windows logo for a few hours now. Am I just impatient?

If this doesnt work I might need you to explain the other method. Is the ISO image that I restore to the small partition the Windows bootup CD?

cheers

JoelWard

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2009
external boot

firstly, i am using a MBP ( a late 2007 model, and I am unsure EXACTLY which this is) with snow leopard.

as with a lot of users, my (not so)super-drive has definetly gone kaputt. I've tried the above directions with refit, and I tried waiting for the windows XP disc to load from the external. first try gave me a black scleen with blinking "underscore" cursor. second try is grey windows screen and flag. I am unsuccessful thus far (I have been waiting patiently but past 10 minutes i dont think it will be working). I will try reformatting the windows partition and check back, but the intel macs seem to be all having this problem. I DO NOT have the money as a student to replace my drive, and although i DEARLY love my mac, i NEED my own windows PC for a very university project. It's extremely important, so if anyone has any suggestion to remedy my problem, Id adore to hear them! I'll check back in a few hours (yes its 415am here, you can see how this is bothering me! :confused:)

please dont let me down for the second time :apple: :(

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
MBP's seem to have problems booting. You could use VMWare Fusion to make a Windows VM, but rEFIt should work for booting on every computer. It even does it on my Hackintosh, which is saying something imho. :)

Other than that, you need a USB External DVD. You could even install Windows through Fusion onto the Boot Camp drive I think, I'm not exactly sure.

AB

P.S. You can make a TIIIIIIIINNNNNYYYY Partition on the HDD, restore the Windows Disc ISO onto this HDD, then make another Partition, install Windows onto that then delete the Tiny "Windows Installer" one.

mac.fly

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2008
UK
Hmm, if you have an external hard drive, try using Disk Utility to clone the DVD onto a partition on the drive. Run Boot Camp Assistant, but this time, hold down the option key when the computer restarts. Select the drive partition and boot to that.
I really hope that works. :D

Using rEFIt I can select that external hard drive partition,
but then unfortunately I only get the message:

"No bootable device -- insert boot disc and press any key"

:confused:

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
P.S. You can make a TIIIIIIIINNNNNYYYY Partition on the HDD, restore the Windows Disc ISO onto this HDD, then make another Partition, install Windows onto that then delete the Tiny "Windows Installer" one.

I love this idea, not sure why I didn't think of it first. So I've done this, made a 6GB partition formatted as FAT32, however why I try to restore it using just the .iso, I get "Could not validate source - Invalid argument", and when I mount the .iso and try using that instead, I simply get "Could not validate source - error 254"

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I love this idea, not sure why I didn't think of it first. So I've done this, made a 6GB partition formatted as FAT32, however why I try to restore it using just the .iso, I get "Could not validate source - Invalid argument", and when I mount the .iso and try using that instead, I simply get "Could not validate source - error 254"

When you restore the ISO, you do get an error. But it works….same error happened to me when I restored Mountain Lion's GM DMG to a Partition to unroll the installation across all my computers. Worked perfectly.

ifmihai

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2012
refit / refind did it for me

thank you for pointing refit software.
I used refind, the next iteration of refit.

I actually used an external dvd, with a windows 7 dvd.

Now I'm trying to restore a windows 7 iso to a FAT partition of 10gb to see if refind will see it also (my guess is it will, as it was able to find the external dvd). I used this method:

Code:
diskutil list

I saw the 10gb partition id, disk0s5 in my case.

3. Then, restore the iso to disk05 with dd command:
Code:
sudo dd if=/path/to/iso/file of=/dev/disk0s5

4. waiting patiently, hitting ctrl+T here and there, to see the progress :)
in my case it took ~1200 seconds, at 3.7 mb/s

thank you so much again for point out refit software

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.