Using external DVD through Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Broadbent, May 12, 2013.

1. Broadbent macrumors newbie

I replaced my optical drive with a SSD, then put my Mac Superdrive in external case. I wanted my eject button to work on the drive, so I followed these instructions http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1073018 , and tried using a DVD. Now DVD player now does not recognize my external drive as a valid Drive? It seemed to have worked before I did this.
    Any Suggestions? I found a thread on getting DVD player to recognize external drives, but it said it doesn't wrk on 10.8

I was also hoping eventually to plug this drive into an airport extreme and use it through that, would the eject button still work using this method?

Anyone have the answers?

MBP 10.8.3 mid 2012 i7 2.9GHZ 8GB RAM, crucial 240GB SSD in optical Drive. 1TB Seagate SSHD

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Thats weird...
    When I hit the eject key on mine, it ejects the CD/DVD in my external drive.

3. Broadbent thread starter macrumors newbie

The eject button works. I can put in a DVD, but it will not play. I get an error message saying "DVD Player cannot find a valid drive". I can eject it with no problems though

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Is that Quicktime that does that?

Have you tried VLC Player and see what it says?

5. Broadbent thread starter macrumors newbie

NO. Its the "DVD Player" it cannot see the external Drive as viable

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Okay, so again, try using VLC Player and see what it says? Maybe it's DVD Player causing the problem.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Or MPlayerX which I prefer over VLC, but both "should" work.

8. Broadbent thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried VLC. It works fine. I'm not crazy about the video quality. Is there a way to get DVD Player to see the drive?