Using External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Link00seven, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Link00seven macrumors regular

Hey all,

So I just purchased an external hard drive. So far so good on the setup. I was able to successfully transfer all of my music, movies, and photos over to the drive.

Changing the iTunes library files and everything was easy and I found all the info on the Apple website. The computer and all programs that use iTunes database seem to be working fine.

The issue comes in with iPhoto and the Movies folder. When I moved the photo folder over, I opened iPhoto and it asked me to locate the library. I pointed it to the external, and its all working fine. Outside applications, however (such as Connect360) seem to still look in the default photo folder for stuff, same with Movies. What I did to fix, was create a alias in the home folder to photos and movies and that seems to point that in the right direction, but another issue is with Firefox. When I goto, for example, attach a file in an email, when I click "pictures" or "movies" in the bar it doesn't work at all.

My question is; I know on Windows XP I used a program called Tweak UI to point the default music/video/photos folder over to my other hard drive. How can I make the system wide change on my Mac, or is how I setup going to work fine?

Thanks for reading.

EDIT: Firefox seems to be working with it now. Hmm...still, if anybody has a surefire way to make a system wide change like this id appreciate it.

2. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

this is good question. i don't know of an app that'll do that...but there is prolly one out there.

i think what you've done is pretty much the way to do it

3. Link00seven thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I haven't had any problems so far with it since the minor Firefox glitch. If anyone knows anything please let me know but thanks for your quick response.

4. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

5. vermonter16 macrumors regular

I'm getting ready to get my first imac delivered tomorrow and I'm going to be ordering an external hard drive. My question is (and I am brand new to this) when storing videos...can I store them just on the external hard drive and not the internal hard drive on my imac? I don't want to use up ALL my space. I would like the external drive to store all the photos, videos, etc....