Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ardenlester00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2009
WV
Hello,

I have a brand new Intel MiniMac 10.5.7. Woe is me - I thought I could re-partition and put my OS 9.2 Desktop Publishing software in it - as I could with all my succession of MacIntoshes.

Not so...

I now wonder if I can use an external Hard Drive with Firewire into the Intel hardware and 10.5.7 software to run OS 9.2 from the Ext. HD?

I have found no user-friendly software to put 9.2 inside the MiniMac (no, not Sheepsheader (?) etc.

I hope someone has done it and it works????

Thank you,

Dennis

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
You can't run any pre OS X application on an Intel Mac. With the exception that you can get Sheepsaver to work. A very hard to reach exception...

Maybe buy a second hand PPC?

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I Dunno after getting new Macs with 10.5.7 or OSX I do not think I could ever go back, my mind won't let me, but I guess there are those who can not spend the extra $Cabbage$ to upgrade the software so I understand, but Good luck I used to have that problem with the Windows World, but I left that behind I no longer use Windows for Personal Stuff :D

ardenlester00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2009
WV
0s 9.2

Yeh, it is going "back" - but they don't make a PageMaker that goes past the 9.2 OS. It is a wonderful, expensive program that happens to have ALL my books, graphics, documents --and available for all my book updates, typos, etc.

Ad 9.2 has all my peripheral software that compliments PageMaker. In essence, I don't have any choice - nothing will take PageMaker's, etc. place.

All it required was some space on the MiniMac's hard drive for the old system along with the new. But...Intel doesn't allow it.

It is entirely my mistake in not checking out Intel and my years of work and software.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
You can pick up a Mac Mini G4 for cheap to just run OS9.2 on it.

Any G3/G4 Mac will boot into OS 9 besides the FW800 MDD G4. The MDDs are too loud though but are still good machines. The G5s won't boot 9 either so just find a cheap G4 Mini to run your OS 9 apps, would be your cheapest option I'd think. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.