Using External HD for Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blackfx35, Jan 16, 2009.

1. blackfx35 macrumors member

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I did do a search but wasn't able to find what I was looking for. I have an iMac with 320GB HD. I am looking at getting an external HD that is 1TB. My intent is to use this with Time Machine to back up my iMac, PLUS use it to store other content that IS NOT on my iMac (primarily media). I assume this can be done, but I am not exactly sure how to go about doing it. If my iMac is completely full (which it is not), then would 320GB of the 1TB be used for Time Machine? Would it ever need more space than 320GB? How would I set this up? Thanks.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Time Machine will initially take up only the space that is currently being used on your iMac. As time passes TM will take up more space as it adds changed and new files to the backup.

TM just stores it's backups in a folder on the external drive, so you can use the rest of the drive space for whatever you want, but you have to keep an eye on how mach space you're keeping free for TM to add to its backups. The alternative is to partition the drive and dedicate one partition to TM and use the other partition for your other stuff.

3. blackfx35 thread starter macrumors member

Can the drive be partitioned at any time? Or is this something that I would have to do before I start using the drive? I would hate to estimate how much space is needed for a TM partition, and end up over/under estimating.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I'd do it before you start using the drive if you're going down that path. Personally I've gone with the non-partitioned option and just keep an eye on the free space, which is not a rocket science task.