Using external HD on Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by creativedogmedia, May 1, 2015.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I just picked up an iMac 5k yesterday. I have a MBP that is connected to an external HD that houses all of my images from it. I want to move all data from my PC to then put onto my new iMac...is there anything I need to know to ensure this goes smoothly or is it plug and play?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

To effect a PC-to-Mac file transfer, you'll need a drive that is "cross-platform formatted".

That is, formatted in a PC format which the Mac can read as well.

I -think- "Fat32" is the formatting scheme you need to use.

BUT -- the external HDD you are using with your MacBook, may or MAY NOT be in that format.
    To check, connect the external drive, then click on its icon ONE time to select it.
    Then, type "command-i" to bring up the "get info" box.
    That should reveal what type of formatting scheme is on the drive.

If it says "Mac OS Extended", it WILL NOT mount on the PC.

My suggestion:
    If the HDD is formatted Fat32 (or something OTHER THAN Mac OS Extended), use that to transfer the data.

If the HDD is formatted Mac OS Extended (also called HFS+), leave it as it is.
    Instead, get a USB3 flashdrive, and use that to transfer the data. It may take several passes, but "do what you have to do".

For long-term file storage with the Mac, especially with files that are important to you, I DO NOT recommend that you keep them on a "cross-platform formatted" drive.
    Keep them on a Mac-formatted (HFS+) drive.
    Things just seem to go better that way...

3. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Both that I have connected to my MBP are Mac OS Journaled. Question....one of the ones connected to it is solely for my Time Machine backup for my MBP. If I get Time Capsule I wouldnt need to have one connected to my MBP...I could use TC for it, right? If that's the case, I could reformat to FAT 32 to transfer my data. Just to be clear, if I reformat to FAT32 I can take data from a PC and drop it to a Mac, right?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP wrote above:
    [[ Just to be clear, if I reformat to FAT32 I can take data from a PC and drop it to a Mac, right? ]]

Yes, that will work.

Can't help with a time capsule, I know nothing about them.

5. dyt1983, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: to remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

6. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I saw that but literally the only thing I want to bring over is almost a terabyte of one drive....no user data, etc. just one drive to my iMac.