Using external HD on mini as a wireless time machine?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by hankkosovo, Jul 2, 2012.

1. hankkosovo macrumors member

Is it possible to an external HD connected to a mac mini (not a server edition) and have the HD appear in the devices of my air so I can use it for time machine? And if so, how?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't believe that this is possible. Something might have changed though. However, you don't need the server model Mini to run Lion server..you can purchase the upgrade from the Mac App Store.

3. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Yeah I'm not sure about this either. I had my external originally hooked up to my airport extreme to accomplish this, but I didn't like how slow it was so I hooked it up directly to my mini.

4. emoore macrumors regular

I have an external hard drive hooked up to my G4 mini that I use as a time machine backup for my laptop. It works great. I selected the hard drive from the time machine preferences. Been working like this for years.

5. pat park macrumors 6502a

yes, this will work. I have a 2TB ext hd hooked up to a USB hub connected to my Mac Mini. My MBP backs up to this. You can see it in the MBP's Finder.

Previously had it hooked up to my AEBS, but after recent airport utility update it kept dropping the connection.

6. hankkosovo thread starter macrumors member

Ahh Cool, how did you set it up so you can see it in the MBP's finder, because this is what I'm having trouble with?