Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suuuii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
anyone manage to connect an external monitor to their new macbook pro? I was looking to buy the thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter from apple but with all the negative reviews about not being able to connect the two got me worried from purchasing the adapter.

i have a monitor that i used on my old macbook and i bought the display port to dvi adapter from apple, if i buy the thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter will this work?

thanks

Creep89

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
What monitor do you have? I would prefer an USB-C -> DisplayPort cable if your monitor has a DisplayPort connector.

Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter does not carry video signals.

suuuii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
i have an old samsung monitor that has vga, dvi, hdmi.

what are my alternate options to getting this monitor up and running with my new macbook?

thanks

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
The TB3->TB2 adapter's description on Apple's site specifically says it only carries Thunderbolt and NOT DisplayPort.

I'm using the TB adapter to plug into my TB2 dock which plugs into the pre-Thunderbolt 27" Cinema Display.

I also have the Apple multi port adapter with HDMI and it works fine. I haven't tried HDMI->DVI but there's no reason that shouldn't work.

The easiest solution is either USB-C to DVI: http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/pro...categoryid=10330&subcategoryid=1033001&cpncd=

There's a variant of this adapter that also carries charging for another $10.

Or USB-C to Mini DisplayPort and then use your existing adapter. Problem is, checking Amazon and Monoprice it doesn't look like there is a decent adapter for this.

Reactions: suuuii
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.