Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brainwave89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I have a 2013 MacBook Air that I used Thunderbolt to DVI adapter to hook-up to an external monitor. It works great. On my brand new MacBook Pro 13-inch I added a Thunderbolt 3 to USB-C adapter to connect it to my external monitor. With the DVI adapter connected to the new Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter the external monitor does not recognize my laptop.

Any suggestions on how to make the external monitor see my laptop is appreciated.

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
On my brand new MacBook Pro 13-inch I added a Thunderbolt 3 to USB-C adapter to connect it to my external monitor.

Any suggestions on how to make the external monitor see my laptop is appreciated.

A couple of things going on here. You probably used the official Apple miniDisplayport to DVI right? Apple never made a Thunderbolt to DVI cable so I'll assume thats the case.

You mention Thunderbolt but your old MacBook Air was actually acting as a DisplayPort over the Thunderbolt port. The USB-C port on your new Mac can do more or less the same. Thunderbolt doesn't enter the equation and the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2/1 adapter (with the miniDisplayport plug) won't work for this conversion; the TB3 adapter does not carry DisplayPort Signals. I wouldn't be shocked if Apple told you it would work; this happened to alot of people unfortunately.

You need something that can take Displayport over USB-C and convert to DVI, there are a few options on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Adapter-Incompatible-Displays/dp/B012B58JRM/

Things change if you are trying to power something higher end like the 30" Apple display.

I can't make any recommendations because my old DVI monitors are boxed up, but there are plenty reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.