Using external monitor w/ 2017 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brainwave89, Aug 7, 2017.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

I have a 2013 MacBook Air that I used Thunderbolt to DVI adapter to hook-up to an external monitor. It works great. On my brand new MacBook Pro 13-inch I added a Thunderbolt 3 to USB-C adapter to connect it to my external monitor. With the DVI adapter connected to the new Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter the external monitor does not recognize my laptop.

Any suggestions on how to make the external monitor see my laptop is appreciated.

2. killawat macrumors 65816

A couple of things going on here. You probably used the official Apple miniDisplayport to DVI right? Apple never made a Thunderbolt to DVI cable so I'll assume thats the case.

You mention Thunderbolt but your old MacBook Air was actually acting as a DisplayPort over the Thunderbolt port. The USB-C port on your new Mac can do more or less the same. Thunderbolt doesn't enter the equation and the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2/1 adapter (with the miniDisplayport plug) won't work for this conversion; the TB3 adapter does not carry DisplayPort Signals. I wouldn't be shocked if Apple told you it would work; this happened to alot of people unfortunately.

You need something that can take Displayport over USB-C and convert to DVI, there are a few options on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Adapter-Incompatible-Displays/dp/B012B58JRM/

Things change if you are trying to power something higher end like the 30" Apple display.

I can't make any recommendations because my old DVI monitors are boxed up, but there are plenty reviews.