Using external monitor with MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Badfish488, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Badfish488 macrumors newbie

I'm having trouble using my MacBook with an external monitor. I cracked the screen on my MacBook about 2 years ago, bought the adapter and used an external monitor without any issues. I haven't used this setup in about a year and a half so I decided to break it out and use it again. Today, I plugged in the HDMI adapter, turned on the MacBook and the only thing I'm getting is what I believe to be my screensaver. Hopefully you guys can understand the problem I'm having. Anyone have any clue? Thanks

2. JassonT macrumors newbie

It sound like your external screen is setup as an extended screen you may need to go into settings on the internal screen and select screen mirroring.

3. Badfish488 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but how would I do that when the screen is completely cracked? Also, I'm checking for display assemblies on ebay for my MacBook, how easy/hard is it to replace?

4. esskay macrumors 6502

Maybe a dumb question, but is this with the lid closed or open?

5. Badfish488 thread starter macrumors newbie

Open, I can actually see about a 1"x3" section of screen in the top left corner.

6. esskay macrumors 6502

So if you close the lid to put the Mac in clamshell mode (power needs to be plugged in), what happens then with the external monitor?

Perhaps with the lid open, you're getting the primary screen display on your broken laptop screen, and an expanded desktop with just your background on the external monitor?

7. JassonT macrumors newbie

You can try what they describe in this link
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/10460015#10460015

This may work for you since you've lost the ability to access the MacBook Pros internal screen.

----------

If you have update to mavericks it will give you the top bar on both internal and external displays.