using external monitor with retina macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tobypb, Nov 11, 2014.

1. tobypb macrumors member

I recently replaced my 2011 iMac with a 2014 15" retina macbook pro that I want to be able to use as both a laptop and a desktop. I'm planning to get a 27" monitor and a hengedock docking station, and also use a apple wireless keyboard and trackpad. One of my main constrains is I want there to be minimal effort when plugging the laptop in and using it as a desktop; as such I have a few questions:

1. If the laptop is in clamshell mode in the dock I presume if I want to be able to turn it on and off like a desktop without taking it out of the dock I will have to sleep and wake from sleep using an external keyboard/mouse, is this correct?

2. Is there an advantage to getting a thunderbolt display from the point of view of this setup and keeping effort to a minimum when using it as a desktop?

3. If I simply connect the laptop to an external display and put it in clamshell mode will it just work like a desktop immediately?

thanks for your help in advance :)

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

1. If the laptop is in clamshell mode in the dock I presume if I want to be able to turn it on and off like a desktop without taking it out of the dock I will have to sleep and wake from sleep using an external keyboard/mouse, is this correct?

Correct. My rMBP sits in a BookArc stand and is connected to my Apple Thunderbolt Display. I use the Magic Mouse in the morning to wake the rMBP.

2. Is there an advantage to getting a thunderbolt display from the point of view of this setup and keeping effort to a minimum when using it as a desktop?

Yes. Only the ATD provides a single cable that provides recharging power and a TB connection. Only the ATD had a built in TB docking station that multiples video, sound, mic, camera, FW, USB 2, and eithernet. Of course we wish the USB ports were USB 3. And personally I have zero need for FW. So the decision you have to make is does the ATD make a good value for you. At least in the States we can get referred units from Apple that are a little below list price and have full warranty.

3. If I simply connect the laptop to an external display and put it in clamshell mode will it just work like a desktop immediately?

It should. Mine does connected to ATD. The only delay should be waking it when is asleep...just like any other computer than sleeps.

3. AllergyDoc, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

In clamshell mode your rMBP will operate like a desktop, unless you're on WiFi. Your WiFi speed will be reduced in clamshell mode. I have a late-2013 13" rMBP and my WiFi drops almost in half (~12Mbps) in clamshell mode.

Update: I moved my workstation from the basement to the top floor and was getting terrible connection speeds, clamshell mode or not. I got a great deal on an Airport Express ($172 out the door at Best Buy), hooked my rMBP to the 5GHZ network, and I'm getting my best connection speed ever, in clamshell mode, no doubt. I couldn't be happier. Now to add an Apple TV...

4. pietrov macrumors regular

pietrov

For point 2 you have to notice also that the iSight will be in front of you... :)

5. mjfutures macrumors member

mjfutures

I have a Dell P2715Q 4K monitor with a Retina Macbook Pro Mid 2014. Does it perform best if the laptop is in clamshell mode? I would often use the laptop as a 2nd monitor.