Using external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lery, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Lery macrumors newbie

Greetings and thank you for taking the time to read this thread. I have what I hope is really simple howto question.

I currently have a Macbook running Lion. I am using a mini VGA port to connect it to my external monitor. When I close the lid on the Macbook, it switches over to the external monitor as the main screen. The Macbook does not go to sleep. I use an external keyboard and mouse.

I am looking for that same behavior on my Macbook Pro. It is connected with the mini DVI port. I have an external mouse and keyboard connected to it. I understand I can Mirror the desktops, but with that done, the resolution is not so great on the external monitor. Every time I try to accomplish this on my Macbook Pro, it goes to sleep. Which is the standard behavior when closing the laptop.

I can sometimes fool the monitor. I do this by waiting a few minutes and then closing the monitor. Or putting a USB drive into the Macbook Pro when it goes to sleep. I can keep doing this, but it seems like I am missing something obvious.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

as long as your connect to the magsafe charger and have external mouse and keyboard connected it should do what your looking for

3. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Yeah, that's my action: Logitech KB/mouse, AC power, close my lid and my 24" stays active (it's also set for my primary display with the menu).

4. cablematters macrumors newbie

I don't think it's good for you to use the Mac or leave the Mac on when closing the lid. There are air inflows from the keyboard area, if you close the lid and keep running the Mac, the mac might get over-heated. That's why Apple doesn't give you an option to keep the Mac on when closing the lid.

Regarding to the resolution, I guess the resolution for Mini DVI is not good enough. You can try the "USB to HDMI" adapter which support 1080p.

Hope this helps.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I think you wrong its not a modification to make it run in clamshell mode its a feature that safe to use

6. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

The MBP is designed to run in clamshell mode when connected to an external monitor; we are talking about some kind of hack here.

I use my 24" NEC display in clamshell mode 100% of the time because I want to run it in mirror mode at its full resolution. As mentioned previously, you must have the MBP connected to AC for this to work properly. I haven't noticed the MBP heating-up any more than when it is open. In fact, my early 2011 13" MBP is the coolest portable Mac that I have owned.

7. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

as long as there is a keyboard and mouse, while plugged in, it should run at the maximum resolution that your monitor can handle.