Using external monitors instead of MBP screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonathanstegall, Oct 6, 2011.

1. jonathanstegall macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a new MacBook Pro at work, and am hoping to create a setup where I can use the two external monitors there instead of the laptop's screen.

Here are the current components:
    • Standard monitor adapter contains one monitor
    • Diamond USB Display Adapter contains a second monitor
    • Bluetooth Magic Mouse and Apple USB keyboard
    All of these components work nicely, and they create a setup in which I have three screens. I don't need this, since the monitors sit far higher than a 13 inch screen, and two screens just works better for me.

I thought I could just close the laptop, and the contents of that screen would move over to the first external monitor, but this doesn't happen. In fact, when these components are connected the laptop doesn't go to sleep at all when I close it. I can reopen it, even after an hour or so passes, and it'll still be awake. No need to wake it up, no need to enter password, etc. So the MBP's screen contents never get shifted to the external monitor.

I tried using only the standard monitor adapter, wondering if it might be the USB adapter, but this didn't change anything. Still doesn't go to sleep. I'm curious if maybe the Bluetooth mouse has some effect on this (so I would need some way of getting another USB port for a mouse), or if I can just configure something to fix it.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

2. jonathanstegall thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks for a quick response. This doesn't work though, that's the issue :)

When I just close the lid, I can interact with the external screens but the laptop's contents never move to the external screen.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

3. simsaladimbamba

That is strange, it works for me though. I guess you have the 2011 MBP with Lion?

4. jonathanstegall thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah yes, I should have mentioned - it is a 2011 model running Lion.

5. simsaladimbamba

Uih, I have seen several threads, where MBPs with Lion had these problems, but as I don't use Lion with my 2009 MBP, I can't test. Maybe use Google and the following search parameter (site:forums.macrumors.com) to look for threads on MR Forums?

6. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Mine works fine with Lion, although I normally don't use it with only the external- usually external plus the laptop's own as a wing.