Using external mouse an keyboard for MacBook Pro while connect to a monitor ?

howareyoukk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Hi guys:)
I am getting a monitor soon ( and it's not a apple display) I would like to connect my MacBook Pro to the monitor. However I am not sure how to connect the mouse and keyboard to the monitor . The monitor I am getting will come with a usb download stream cable , 2 usb downstream ports and 2 usb upstream ports.

Thanks in advanced :)

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Why not hook the keyboard and mouse up to the laptop if you don't have enough USB ports on the monitor?

Also consider a wireless keyboard and/or mouse.

howareyoukk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Why not hook the keyboard and mouse up to the laptop if you don't have enough USB ports on the monitor?

Also consider a wireless keyboard and/or mouse.

the reason I wanna connect keyboard and mouse to the monitor is because in that way I don't need to unplug them everytime I wanna disconnect my laptop. :)

Besides, I also wonder what the USB ports on the monitor are capable of and how I can u them.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You would always have to disconnect the display anyway, and you would also have a USB connection from the MBPro to your display, even if you connected your keyboard and mouse to the built-in hub on your display. So, you would always have at least two connectors to unplug (display and USB). So, no real difference, unless you get a wireless keyboard and mouse.

redmac

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco
You would always have to disconnect the display anyway, and you would also have a USB connection from the MBPro to your display, even if you connected your keyboard and mouse to the built-in hub on your display. So, you would always have at least two connectors to unplug (display and USB). So, no real difference, unless you get a wireless keyboard and mouse.
Using the monitor as a USB hub, he will connect 2 cables instead of 3 (video + USB to monitor vs. video + USB for mouse + USB for keyboard).

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Using the monitor as a USB hub, he will connect 2 cables instead of 3 (video + USB to monitor vs. video + USB for mouse + USB for keyboard).
Assuming...
A. He doesn't choose a Keyboard/Mouse package that are wireless and use the same donle
B. Or his keyboard doesn't have a built in hub to plug is mouse into.

Either way, using the monitor hub vs the plugging into his keyboard is really 6 vs one half dozen. It's not a simple single plug and go (like the thunderbolt display or using a thunderbolt docking station).

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I use a wired keyboard and trackball (plus Magic Trackpad), so my set up is:

MBP
- external display
- USB hub
- power
- speakers
- gigabit Ethernet

USB Hub
- wired keyboard
- wired trackball

Trackpad connects wirelessly

So there are five things to connect/disconnect each time I dock or undock. A TBD sure would be nice!