Using external mouse an keyboard for MacBook Pro while connect to a monitor ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by howareyoukk, Feb 25, 2014.

1. howareyoukk macrumors regular

Hi guys:)
    I am getting a monitor soon ( and it's not a apple display) I would like to connect my MacBook Pro to the monitor. However I am not sure how to connect the mouse and keyboard to the monitor . The monitor I am getting will come with a usb download stream cable , 2 usb downstream ports and 2 usb upstream ports.

Thanks in advanced :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not hook the keyboard and mouse up to the laptop if you don't have enough USB ports on the monitor?

Also consider a wireless keyboard and/or mouse.

3. howareyoukk thread starter macrumors regular

the reason I wanna connect keyboard and mouse to the monitor is because in that way I don't need to unplug them everytime I wanna disconnect my laptop. :)

Besides, I also wonder what the USB ports on the monitor are capable of and how I can u them.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You would always have to disconnect the display anyway, and you would also have a USB connection from the MBPro to your display, even if you connected your keyboard and mouse to the built-in hub on your display. So, you would always have at least two connectors to unplug (display and USB). So, no real difference, unless you get a wireless keyboard and mouse.

5. redmac macrumors regular

Using the monitor as a USB hub, he will connect 2 cables instead of 3 (video + USB to monitor vs. video + USB for mouse + USB for keyboard).

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Assuming...
    A. He doesn't choose a Keyboard/Mouse package that are wireless and use the same donle
    B. Or his keyboard doesn't have a built in hub to plug is mouse into.

Either way, using the monitor hub vs the plugging into his keyboard is really 6 vs one half dozen. It's not a simple single plug and go (like the thunderbolt display or using a thunderbolt docking station).

7. esskay macrumors 6502

I use a wired keyboard and trackball (plus Magic Trackpad), so my set up is:

MBP
    - external display
    - USB hub
    - power
    - speakers
    - gigabit Ethernet

USB Hub
    - wired keyboard
    - wired trackball

Trackpad connects wirelessly

So there are five things to connect/disconnect each time I dock or undock. A TBD sure would be nice!