Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reimer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
Is there a way to get the other functions on certain mice to work, such as the Logitech MX518? More specifically, I'm wondering if there is a way to get the scroll wheel to act as a button so I can middle click links in Firefox to open them up in tabs. I don't think the Back/Forward buttons on the side of the mouse work either.

I'd assume I'd have to download Logitech's software but I'm kind of wary of doing that because the last time I installed it, my mouse became unusable and I had to reinstall OS X.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Do you know for sure that your mouse does not work? OSX natively supports 3 button scroll wheel mice.

Reimer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
emptyCup said:
Do you know for sure that your mouse does not work? OSX natively supports 3 button scroll wheel mice.

Well I've tried both a Logitech Click! and MX518. They work just fine except for the ability to use the scroll wheel as a button.. that and the back/forward buttons don't work either.

I'll look into usb overdrive or steermouse but would prefer something non-shareware. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.