Using FCP X on a non-approved iMac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ctakim, Jun 26, 2011.

1. ctakim macrumors 6502

I have an 27" iMac from early 2008 that has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB SDRAM and an ATI Radeon HD2600 Pro with 256 VRAM. It is clearly NOT approved for use with FCP X according to the Apple website. Never one to listen too closely to the rules I downloaded it anyway to give it a spin.

Thus far, on my family video clips, and HD camcorder videos, it works passibly well, with some stuttering during playback. But it is not too severe and most other functions seem to be working well. I've done a few test projects that did not seem to hang up. Overall it is quite workable. You don't want to do anything too serious with a non-approved Mac, but if you have modest needs and are looking to get some experience with FCP X, you don't have to spring for that new Mac just yet.

But if you are a professional...well, you don't need me to tell you what to do.:)

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

i noticed this as well. i installed it on my late 2007 iMac just to see if it would work, and sure enough it launched just fine and the in the bit of tinkering I did it seemed to work.

3. xStep macrumors 68000

What! Are you saying the Mac App store allowed you to download it and you spent $300 to possibly find out that it wouldn't work on your machines?

4. ctakim thread starter macrumors 6502

No I spent $300 to find out that it does work pretty well on my machine.:)
    Actually I bought it before I found the listing of officially supported Macs. This was the same machine that I use for iMovie and FCP Express editing of my home videos. Still I'm not disappointed as I can start to learn how to use this new software.

5. xStep macrumors 68000

Glad to hear dumb luck worked out for you. ;) It's good you posted this information as I'm sure others would like to know it.